Airspeed Indication Low

Just purchased a 1976 PA28-151 Warrior with the 160 RAM upgrade. When cruising level at about 2300-2400 RPM I am only getting 90-95 ktas indicated. Any thoughts on this? I have fatpants wheel pants installed also so I am figuring this is fairly low.

Comments

• You may want to have your airspeed indicator checked for calibration before spending too much time worrying about drag or power. I had a similar issue about low rate of climb, and low cruise speed. The problem was actually the airspeed indicator was reading 5 to 6 knots low. Once it was overhauled, the airplane climbed much better (now that you were holding the right speed) and better cruiser. Do you have GPS, do a run in 2 directions (to cancel wind) and compare ground speed and AS as a start?
  • More questions than answers I am afraid.
    You don't mention many things that may be relevant.
    Cruising altitude, airfield elevation along with Static RPM results, when was the tacho last checked with an optical or similar variety all come to mind for starters.
    What does the groundspeed come back as ?
    What airspeed would a Warrior normally be expected to achieve in your configuration ?
    I would be confirming a few indication items before getting too concerned about airframe drag and rigging myself.

You may need to look at the STC sheets for your RAM upgrade to see your static rpm limits. The TCDS may not be applicable in your case.