PA32R-300 Lance Left Seat Repair

I recently acquired a 1977 Lance and have found that the position stops and lever mechanism on the left seat are severely worn and are in need of either repair or replacement. I have been unsuccessful finding replacement parts and am assuming that I will have to have the parts machined. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first plane and have much to learn.

Comments

• If you are referring to the hand bar, which in turn has a thin wire connected to a sprung pin inside a plunger, which then locks in to a hole in the seat rail track - then I think I would be calling some salvage yards to see if you can source a lower seat assembly and plan on replacing it that way. This plunger is welded to the seat frame - I seem to recall.

Can you post a photo of which bit is bad?
  • If you are calling "position stops" the holes in the aluminum rail the seat slides on (mounted on the floor)... that is a replacement part. Piper is real proud of it, but I think McFarlane has em too for a much lower price. Not sure how approved it is to do, but usually the trouble is that the holes in the favorite spots have become worn and it allows the seat to inadvertently move out of position on braking... but more troublesome is on take off. In fact, I think it is a SB or AD to inspect the rails for that... I know it is part of an annual. Anyway... back to the unapproved repair... Find a drill set. Find the size that fits the holes tightly. Now grab the next size larger... or even 2 sizes larger... and drill out the holes. What this does is square off the holes so the seat pins hold. Works fine usually. No log entry... hanger gremlins...
  • You will have to be careful with any seat and mounting hardware. It is normally all classified as Primary structure and all repairs have to be done correctly.
    As this is your first aircraft you are feeling your way, - the A&P will help you through it.
    The IA will take a very dim view to any illegal mods, not half as much as the FAA though.

In this case your best bet would be to discuss it with the A&P... he would have seen it all before and have a fair idea of what you are up for.

Most maintenance has to be recorded and certified. That includes Pilot/Owner maintenance but you will also need to be familiar with the task and limitations before you embark on any of that.
    Many IA's will refuse to touch an aircraft that has been dicked about with by the owner, either that or run up a horrendous bill trying to sort the mess out.
    Find a good A&P that is recommended by operators of similar types, work in with him and you will find the cost of ownership becomes very reasonable.
  • Or, you don't have to complicate eating a hotdog.