Aztec fuel valve selector help??

I have a Piper Aztec and I am doing some work on the right hand side fuel selctor valve (part number 492-223). I need to replace the Teflon Seals that are only supplied by Dukes Inductries here in California (Dukes part number 3564-00. The seals might cost $20 and the time to replace the seals would be about two hours. Dukes is looking to charge me $1950 to have the job completed. I have taken the valve apart myself and the replacement is an easy fix so paying $1950 just makes no sense. Duke will not sell me the seals seperatly and I am not willing to pay $1950 for this simple process. I have contacted Piper Aircraft and they are no help. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Please email any help you can provice to Mike at mharperxke@aol.com.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks Mike

Comments

• Something does seem odd here alright. It is almost as the P/N is incorrect or been superceded. Are you performing the task correctly ? ie with the current and appropriate acceptable data..
    It may well be there has been a SB or other later service info.. Does the manufacturer use a component maintenance manual even ?

You will need to have access to the the test criteria to release the valve back to service as well.

Where did you get that Part Number from ? They have to be talking valve replacement at that price.

It has been almost 30 years since I did any Aztec work and I can't remember this job at all I am afraid Mike.
  • I dunno about all the release back to service stuff. Yes, to put an 8130 on it sure. But any AP can do a repair or replace parts and make a reference to that along with a logbook entry stating that after reinstalling it in the plane. He just can't say "approved for return to service" and offer any paperwork in the forma of a yellow tag or 8130. Same thing like a mag. It takes a repair station to tag one, but any AP can repair and/or service one and put it back on a plane. Any AP can OH an engine, but can't offer an 8130...
  • Yes, it could be a terminology thing. It has been well over 20 years since I did the FAA A&P and I have operated many licences from all over.
    Return to Service could be the statement you are more familiar with.

The regs are generally very clear. The FAA being pretty easy to understand and navigate about.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:1.0.1.3.21&idno=14

As always it is Parts 43 and 21 that will contain most of the info related to the maintenance and repair of aircraft.
    I found the procedures pretty straightforward, the intent is much the same in every country. We are basically using the same maintenance material in every-case, - it is just the certification statement that varies a little.

The killer one of course being that if it ain't done iaw acceptable methods and the regs then it ain't airworthy.
  • I just stumbled on this discussion, I am having the same issue, how did you resolve this?