2 seater conversion

I'm working on converting my 150C to a 2 seat configuration to allow me to fit skis in the plane. My model does not have the wooden floor uinder the seats, it has a 180 airframe in which the seat covers the cables and flap control rods. I've built a template to cover this area and will construct it in ss most likely, than add a counterbalancing weight the rear bulkhead to allow for the weight of the removed seats. Should give an improvement in the cg due to having a little more weight aft. My mechanic is going to inspect the work and sign off on it. He seems to think that just a logbook and w&b entry is all that I need, but I was thinking I should get a 337 for insurance purposes..

Any comment?

thanks

Greg

Comments

• Isn't this discussion related to whether the work is affecting the type certificate...and/or if this is a minor or major alteration.

I think your idea of filing an 337 is a good one. You may want to present your proposal to the local FSDO prior to any work is undertaken, then you could got for a field approval (if required).

On the topic of the actual construction - are you going to provide some sort of anchor points to tie the cargo (skis) down? Perhaps utilize the existing seat belt attach points - this may warrant a 'blessing' from the FSDO?

Just my two cents!

Good luck - and post some photos - maybe there is an STC in the future!
  • It will not be too difficult to do. I am sure it has been done before. Your A&P does not sound like he is also an IA.
    There will be all sorts of requirements with a cargo compartment floor over control cable runs.
    I think you will have to provide evidence of sufficient strength to meet some form of loading, perhaps crush or even crash loading. It could be up to 9G.
    The same requirement will be asked of any tiedown anchor points.

I think the A&P would have been onto this in a flash, did you ask him ?
    Obviously the regulators are going to address the risks of control cable entrapment or the cargo coming loose or flying forward. This is basic stuff..
    It would be a braver man than me that certifies this on a logbook entry.
    I think it will be a 337 and more..
  • This Company will know what is involved and who has been down the path before.

http://myaircrafters.com/text/origNotebook.pdf
  • It is done, my mechanic and I worked on it and you could jump up and down on it with no chance of failure. 337 filed. I am looking into an stc, who need the rear seat really. With today's ski's an easy fit boots bags and luggage included.

Updates and pictures as soon as the stc is filed