Benefit of new prop?

Currently operating a pa-28-161, although the engine has recently been overhauled the prop hasn't been replaced and has been filed down several times.

Since the engine replacement there is no real noticable performance improvement.

Some people are saying replacing the prop would give noticable improvement and others are saying it wouldn't.

Does anyone have any opinions/info that may help me decide whether or not to replace the prop?

Thanks
'66

Comments

• You can have a fixed pitch prop OH for a few hundred bucks. If it were bad, they would let you know.
  • TPS66:
    I replaced my prop simply because I thought it was time. My '78 -161 still had the original prop and had seen a lot of maintenance over the years. I decided to go with a new prop, with the AMR&D tip mod. Why the tip mod? I figured it couldn't hurt, and the prop was actually cheaper through AMR&D with the mod than through Aircraft Spruce without the mod. The new prop did make a significant difference. Would a simple overhaul and restoration of the pitch done the same? I don't know. Did the tip mod make the difference? I don't know. But I felt a lot better knowing it was new. I still have the old prop, in case my wife restarts her flight instruction.

VFRs, without TFRs,
    Dennis_ARR
    Warrior-1.jpg
    1978 PA28-161
    KARR – Aurora, Illinois
  • I've spent may hours with turbine customers setting expectations in regards to overhaul. Overhaul is not a performance enhancement, unless you have performance issues to begin with. If the engine/airplane is performing to specs now, overhaul will not change that. Sometimes performance deteriation is so slow and subtle that we miss the clues. Where people experience gains after overhaul, this is due to the fact engine performance deteriorated gradually throughout the years, and an overhaul restores normal performance. Rember, the overhaul shop is limited by the engine mfg to the hp listed, unless approved mods are installed.
    I would certainly have the prop overhauled, if for no other reason than piece of mind. It is relatively inexpensive and given the stress it is subjected to on a daily basis it is good practice. I'm not familiar with the AMR&D mod to the prop, but in the previous post it sounds possible that there is some performance to be gained there.
    Good luck, hope that helps!