Shell oil VS Phillips 66 Question

During my last annual there were two A&Ps that agreed that Shell oils have a lot of wax that can build up in the engine. Mine is a O-360 180HP. They suggested that I use phillips 66 because it is a newer formulation that contains very low wax or no wax (I cannot recall which they actually said.

My question is has anyone heard of this or is this just local bias. It would seem to me that a company like Shell would be on the cuttng edge of oil technology. I see a lot of Shell at airports and not much Phillips 66. Is there any risk in making this change?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Shell is good. 66 is good. Both will work fine in your plane. 66 20w-50 is real nice for all weather. If you wanted to spend an extra buck or two, Exxon Elite 20w-50 or Shell 15w-50 are both great semi synthetic oils and are supposed to be a little better especially if your plane ever sits for longer periods in helping to combat corrosion.

If you change your oil and filter every 50 hours, you won't have trouble with any oil you use. You can change, mix, and add any oil to each other and that is fine too.
  • Thanks Flyguydon. I just couldn't believe that Shell would put out an inferior product compared to other brands.
  • I use Shell, but I nothing against Phillips or others. There are so many factors that go into overall engine care, the type of oil used is just one part of those factors. I'm talking things like preheat, oil change intervals, overall engine operation, frequency of use, oil additives, engine condition, etc.