Piper Century 1 & Turn and Bank

I have a 1975 Archer that has a turn and bank that is part of the Century 1 autopilot. The turn indicator of the unit seems to be very unstable "sloppy". It is stable if I am flying in very calm air with no bumps. The problem comes in when in moderate to rough air. I fly it IFR and could not imagine trying to hold a turn with this thing if the AI went out. I can do it but I have to take the average of the standard rate mark because it is moving freely back and forth.

Is this an indication of the gyro gone bad? It is sort of loud when it runs but it takes a while to spin down so I don't think it is dragging. The century 1 is not much of an autopilot. I guess it was more of a homing device to a VOR station with the T&B intigrated into it. I woldnot fix the Century1 but I need the T&B.

Does anyone have experience getting the T&B more stable or is this just the best it can do?

Comments

• I'm adding to my last post here. I see quite a few post from people trying to connect various NAV units to it. The Piper Autocontrol (century1??) unit in my plane is awful at holding a course. I set to track a VOR and it will only hold course for a miniute and then it will slowly start turning one way or another, Can this thing be fixed to actually track a heading better or is it just to old. If to old then how are the guys trying to connect it to a GPS, or other NAV expecting it to actually hold a course??
    ?
    Just trying to figure out if this unit can be fixed well enough to actually be an AP again? Seems pretty bad right now.

Thanks
  • I may be mistaken, but I thought that the Century autopilots used the AI for their gyro reference. S-Tec autopilots use the turn coordinator.

My RC Allen turn coordinator failed about a year or so ago. I replaced it with a Mid Continent unit which is shorter (in depth), lighter, and has a longer MTBF. I bought it direct from Mid Continent, and they even gave me a rebate for sending in the old RC Allen unit.

I'll try and remember to look in the Century service manual to see if there are any hints on the VOR tracking issue.
  • A Century 1 " -4 " will track a NAV or GPS. The other will not. They are a turn and bank autopilot and work real well. In fact, they make a real nice backup in case of a vacuum failure as it will keep the shiny side up as they are electric.

Yours may need OH.
  • Hi ATLCENTER, All of the Century Autopilots are "Position Based" systems that use the aircrafts artificial horizon for roll axis information except your Century I which is a "Rate-Based" system like the STEC's, that use the Turn Coordinator
    for roll info. Like Flyguydon says, only the later model Century I's have VOR and GPS tracking capability. If your's does, than you have a later model unit. If your seeing the "wings" of your TC moving all over the place, then when you are in autopilot mode, the aircraft should slso be following the wings and therefore providing a very uncomfortable flight in IFR conditions. Is this the case? Generally, the Century I, as basic as it is, does a good job as a wing leveler and if capable, should track a VOR or GPS reliably. VOR/GPS tracking can be a different issue. The quality of the signal from the nav source to the autopilot is basic to how well the Century I will track. If the gyro is noisy at start up, that's a good indication that it is likely worn and maybe ready for overhaul. It will typically run a little "happier" once it has spun up and is warm. If you don't have a good, affordable instrument shop in mind, let me know where you are and I can recommend a shop that I know and trust (after 16 years!). Thanks! Bob Hart APG Eastern Avionics rhart@avionix.com www.avionix.com
  • I think that mine is suppost to follow a vor since it has the knob that you "push in to track". When I push it in while headed to a vor with the needle centered is will only last a minute or two and then it starts to wander off Left or Right. It seems to be random whether it is L or R. I don't think it is actually following anything because when I pull the knob out and then turn the left knob to set up a straight course it reacts the same way.

The TC is a card that moves with the pointer at the top of the dial and not wings that are typcial of todays. . The card seems to swing much more than a modern day TC's. It would be very hard in rough air to make a standard rate turn with the card moving so much.

I'm trying to make a decision as to whether the unit is worth fixing or just ditch it and get a starndard TC. I would like to have the wing leveler working and holding a course for more than a few minutes. Some on this forum say this unit never worked well even when new and others say it works well so its hard to make a judgement as to what to do.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • I have one of these in a 68 arrow - haven't had much luck getting it to fly a course but it sure comes in handy when you need to check something or get something out of your bag (like your lunch) - took me a couple of flights to learn to live with its light suttle roll back and forth - if there is no wind it works perfect but so does a well trimed plane. I take it for what it is - a 30 year old single axis auto pilot, every time there is a gust of wind you gotta reset. Don't think Santa's gonna a drop me a new auto pilot anytime soon. That would be nice. I am also interested to know if anyone has actually overhauled one (Century One) what that would be worth and by whom.

Then i guess i can open another thread on guys in Canada getting repairs done in the USA.

• I have one of these in a 68 arrow - haven't had much luck getting it to fly a course but it sure comes in handy when you need to check something or get something out of your bag (like your lunch) - took me a couple of flights to learn to live with its light suttle roll back and forth - if there is no wind it works perfect but so does a well trimed plane. I take it for what it is - a 30 year old single axis auto pilot, every time there is a gust of wind you gotta reset. Don't think Santa's gonna a drop me a new auto pilot anytime soon. That would be nice. I am also interested to know if anyone has actually overhauled one (Century One) what that would be worth and by whom.

Then i guess i can open another thread on guys in Canada getting repairs done in the USA.
  • Hi Altcenter,
    Do you, in fact, know that your Century I is connected to your Nav Source? I smooth air, with the aircraft trimmed, you may think your autopilot is tracking when, in fact, it's not. See the attached picture of a Century I Turn-Coordinator.
    From your description, it sounds like yours does not look like this? As you can see, the "wings' are there. Yes, at the top, there is a box and marks for standard rate (timed) turns. Either way, TC's normally "jump around" like a horizon will. Tell me if your TC looks like the one in the picture and see if you can see that your nav source is in fact connected to the Century 1? Bob Hart APG Eastern Avionics rhart@avionix.com www.avionix.com
  • Bob,

I didn't see any pictures attached. Can you send them. I will take a picture of mine and see if they match.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Hi AltCenter,
    Century 1 Controller/Turn Coordinator picture is attached (again?)
    Thanks, Bob Hart APG Eastern Avionics rhart@avionix.com www.avionix.com

WELL ... MAYBE NOT? Send me your email and I'll send it back to you. I've tried 3 times.
  • mini_Capture.JPG

Bob,

I was at the plane yesterday (working on yet anohter issue) and looked at my T&B indicator. This is an image of the one like I have. It is not mine but it looks just like it.

Thanks for your attention and help.

Bill