Met-Co-Aire or Knots2u - Need Recommendations

Hi folks - my '73 PA28-180 is in for its annual and the time has come to replace the original plastic dorsal fins (before they fall off on their own!).

I'm going with Fibreglass replacements - do any of you have recommendations on whether I should go with Met-Co-Aire or Knots2u for the parts? Or another supplier?

Their prices are comparable, so if anyone has a preference or experience with them to help me make a decision, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• I replaced mine last year with the fiberglass one from Met-Co-Aire right before a new paint job . They recommend getting both the dorsal fin and the part in front of it as a matched set for best fit. That is the part that has to be riveted to the fuselage. I did not do this because that part was still in good shape but my A&P had to do some cutting to make the dorsal fin fit correctly. This is probably true for all of them. On my plane, there was also some vinyl channeling at the bottom that also needed to be replaced so you may want to track some of that down before your installation because you will likely break it if you try to remove it from the old part and reuse it. I have bought wing tips from Met-Co-Aire before and the fiberglass parts hold up very well. Frankly, I have been pleased with parts from Knots2U as well so I doubt that you will be displeased with products from either company. I am glad I replaced mine because the original part was in worse shape than I had thought.
  • mini_DSC00987.jpg

Clive at URE aviation has a great price on some surplus new fiberglass dorsal items, stabilator tips, and other stuff. Tell Clive that Magneto Don gave you his number.

http://ureaviation.com/
  • One of my friends is doing a superb rebuild. I built him a mold for a one-piece fiberglass dorsal. The last time we spoke, he was planning to get an STC and make them available to other folks. I'll send you his contact info in a private message. Good luck.

Dorsal_zps6a2a5970.jpg