Type Rating - Multiple airplanes

I am currently flying a PA30 (Twin Comanche B) and a PA34 (Seneca II). I am wondering if these are both the same type for recency, or if I need to book time in both to stay current "officially" on both. Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Not sure what your question is.

Under US rules, to carry a passenger, you must have completed 3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days in the same category and class, ( and type, if a type-rating is required). If it is a tailwheel they must be to full stop, if for night experience, it must be full stop and at night.

Twin-Co and Seneca II are multi-engine, land and neither require a type rating in the USA. So you should be good, in the US anyway.
  • Similar rules for currency exist in Canada. However, they are required to be "on type". I guess my question is if a PA30 and a PA34 are similar enough to be considered the same type, since their characteristics are so similar... I don't think there is a Canada/US distinction in type alignment. For example, if I am current on a Cessna 172, I am also current on a Cessna 150...
  • Yeah, I have no idea about Canada. In the US, it is category and class. In this case, Category = airplane and class = multi-engine, land.

In the US, the type is only considered if the aircraft requires multiple crew or requires a type-rating, ie anything over 12,500lbs or generally any jet.