Fuel Stain On Wheel Pant

Fuel drain dripped on pant while sitting in hangar ( probably 2wks). Tried spray cleaner made for aircraft, fiber glass polish, aircraft cleaner polish, no luck in getting rid of stain. Thinking of rubbing compound next, but not sure can use on fiberglass? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Northup:
    99% of the time, most of the stain can be removed by wiping with more avgas. Then, time will usually eliminate the rest. Once you've eliminated the dripping, the stain will fade quite rapidly with no residual after about two weeks. At least, that's my experience.
    VFRs, without TFRs,
    Dennis_ARR
    Warrior-1.jpg
    1978 PA28-161
    KARR – Aurora, Illinois
  • Thanks for the reply, avgas did remove some of the stain, hopefully time will take care of rest.
  • One of my tank valves was leaking and I replaced all three on my plane for about $15 each. The Curtis part numbers are in your parts manual. I did it while assisting my A&P with the annual so he signed off. All of them had debris in there that I am sure contributed to the leaks. It is fairly easy to do. We did not drain the tanks but you have to have a drain pan and quick hands. My A&P had some kind of grease that he recommended be used on the threads.
  • You can use a mild polish on fiberglass but go easy and keep the heat down if you use a powered buffer. You should be safe if you polish by hand. Good luck!