Heated Hanger

We own a 1999 Saratoga HP based in Minnesota, currently in an unheated hanger. Looking for recommendations/thoughts on wether a heated hanger is worth the extra $(200/ month).

Thanks.

Comments

• Well, MN can get quite cold and it depends on how much time you're spending in the hangar, and/or flying.. But, $200/MO is a LOT of extra expense. Do you have an option for adding a heater to the current hangar? My hangar is in Northern IL, is fully insulated and has a gas heater (which I've not used in 10 years) and an electric heater that I use whenever I'm working in the hangar for any length of time. Without, using the heater, the hangar seldom gets colder than 30º during the winter. Good insulation and a tight door will do wonders for mitigating the cold. I suspect you could have your hangar insulated and sealed up for a lot less than a year's additional rent. A simple heater could do the rest, if needed.

VFRs, without TFRs,
    Dennis_ARR
    Warrior-1.jpg
    1978 PA28-161
    KARR – Aurora, Illinois
  • Thanks Dennis, I was also interested in wether a climate controlled hanger was better for the plane and avionics?
  • Oh yeah! A constant 70º and constant humidity would be ideal, but I don't think it's necessary. I know an unheated/uninsulated hangar can exceed 100º in the Summer and reach -20º in the Winter, not to mention the potential for condensation on the ceiling that can drip down on the plane, and freeze, during rapid temperature swings, but again, insulation will resolve most of the that and limit the internal temperature swings to levels well within the tolerance of the aircraft systems. Your plane is subjected to much more adverse conditions when it's sitting unprotected on the ramp. I also have a unheated/uninsulated hangar in Iowa. I far prefer the insulated hangar. My next hangar, which will be in MO, will be fully insulated and solar heated. That's gonna be nice!

Merry Christmas,
    Dennis-ARR
  • A heated hangar is better but probably not worth the cost. If your 1999 airplane had spent its life in a heated hangar, it would have cost 14 years x 12 months/yr x $200/mo = $33,600. I doubt that a heated hangar would have prevented $33,600 worth of degradation. I'd pay for heat if you spend a lot of time working in the hangar. Otherwise, I'd save the money for more flying.
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone and Happy New Year!