O-320-E3D engine with oil leak

Hoping that someone can provide some assistance.

I have a 140 with the 160HP O-320-E3D engine that is leaking oil from the right side. The oil appears to be coming from by the oil filler tube containing the dipstick but below is what I've tried and documented.

1) This is a new leak and the engine has around 1750 hours on it with approx 100 hours on 4 new cyclinders
2) Clean oil (Oil has been in the engine for about 35 hours) is clearly visible around the base of the filler tube and has spread down the side of the sump and by the oil return lines from cylinders 1+4
3) An oil spray is clearly visible on the inside of the lower cowling and seems to be directly (Slight angle rearwards towards firewall) in line with the filler tube.
4) When the engine is run (1000 - 1500 rpm) on the ground with the cowling off there is no visible signs of leakage and everything remains dry
5) Flying the plane for approx 15 mins there is clear evidence of oil leaking and again covering the inside of the cowling.

This morning I did the following remedial work to try and identify / cure the leak

1) Removed the filler tube replaced the gasket, retightened and lock wired
2) Found that the breather tube that vents underneath the airframe (Left hand side) was blocked with ice and sludge. Removed the vent pipe and replaced.
3) Thoroughly cleaned the engine with Varsol, dried and torqued all visible bolting on sump, oil return hoses etc
4) Test flew the plane for approx 15 mins with oil temp and pressures being totally normally.

After landing and checking inside again, still found that oil was clearly visible on top of the base of the filler tube, around the top of the sump and also was sprayed on the inside of the cowling. The new vent pipe was clear, with moisture clearly running from it after cooling down .

I inspected another engine this morning that is identical to mine and found that there was no anomalies between the two other than oil on mine. One item that I did spot this morning was that there is a hole on the side of the engine casing just above where the filler tube screws into the sump. There appeared to be oil running from this hole and it is inline with the oil on the cowling and would explain why there is oil on top of the filler tube flange. I was told this morning that this is a relief hole in case a breather does get blocked; however, the breather was totally clear when I did the last test flight. so not sure why this hole would still be leaking. It does appear to have some threads in the hole as if a plug was fitted; however, when checking the other engine there was no plug fitted either.

Any help or guidance I would really appreciate it as I'm reaching the end of my own thoughts and course of action before taking it to my mechanic.

Steve

Comments

• If you tightened and are sure the filler tube is not leaking... then check the oil returns from the cylinders... especially near the area you see the leakage. You will see each cylinder has about a 3" hose with 2 clamps on it on the return from the rocker area to the crankcase. Plenty of oil goes through there and if loose will be a mess.
  • Found that the oil return flex hoses had lost all their flexibility and had gone solid. Replaced these and retightened the casing bolts and the leak is certainly less but not totally eliminated - can live with the seepage I now have
  • I had this problem with my O360-A3A, It turned out that the brass fitting where the oil pressure guage flex hose adapted to the upper right accessory housing was not tight enough. I put a little sealant on the 1/8 NPT threads and reinstalled it into the housing. This, new silicon valve cover gaskets and an o-ring on the oil filler / dipstick got me dry as a bone. I think multiple little leaks are not uncommon.
    Cheers,
    >MikeL<