Piper Cherokee 235 or Cessna 172L ???

Looking at a Cherokee 235 and also considering the Cessna 172L with a 150 hp lycoming engine. Any ideas as to value of each and what you think will hold better value ? Cherokee 235 is a 1964, nice paint job, decent interior and around 1400 smoh, fixed pitch prop, older IFR radios. Cessna 172L is a VFR only airplane, low total time but the engine a little past TBO but running very well with all compressions in mid '70s. Price on both aircraft in low 30's ................

Comments

• I would think the Cherokee would hold it's value a little better than the 172, but it might be a little harder to sell later on as it is more specialized. More importantly it's going to cost a bit more to own (fuel burn especially). It's hard to compare the two, since they really have 2 completely different mission profiles. Good luck!!
  • Yea, that is about what I was thinking ............. but the big engine in that Cherokee 235 can give a lot of performance, you have to pay the price for a big engine ! OK, Thank you ..................
  • I had a cherokee 235 years ago and it was a great plane, flys easily out of high altitute airports, easy to and and not that high on anuuals or insurance. I flew regulalry to mammoth ca, lake tahoe, vegas when it was 100 degrees, over the rockies via page arizona to Grand junction colorado form long beach ca.

wonderful plane but get the one with the larger cabin after I thinkk 66 the earlier ones were kinda crapmted in the rear seats

11J
  • Or get a real nice Cherokee with 150 or even 160 HP with mid time engine and nicer avionics for mid to upper 20s.
  • Of those 2 I'd take the 235. Depending on expected use you may do fine with a 180 HP version of sorts, Cherokee or Archer.