Cherokee 140 hat rack space

Hello! After lurking for a while, I figured I'd post a question and try to contribute to the community. I've been looking for ways to increase the baggage/storage capability of my '68 140. Currently, I have the flat back behind the two rear seats. It's enough to hide a spare quart of oil or some other small items, but not much else. If I had to guess, there is maybe 5-6" of space behind the seats. It could be 4-5"....

I've seen the STCs for the 150+ model baggage doors and the new floorboard that goes with it, but I think that's out of my budget for the time being. I think a hat rack is the way to go, at least for now.

I'm looking at THIS hat rack from Plane Plastics. My question is for those out there who have this already. How much actual space do you get behind the rear seats? Judging from the pictures, I'd guess it's maybe 8" deep? Coupled with the 5-6" (or perhaps 4") behind the seats, could there really be a foot or more of space to be had? Really, all I'm looking for is a place to throw 2-3 small bags the size of a backpack or maybe the occasional tent to go camping. I know a full blown suitcase will probably not fix behind there. I just need more than I have!

Any help would really be appreciated. It just seems that all the available pictures on the Internet show it from the vantage point of the front seat and don't offer any real views of the back seats.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Comments

• I called Plane Plastics today and talked with April. She was very helpful. She pulled up the specs sheet they have on file for this hat rack and gave me the dimensions. It's 43" wide at the base, 9.5" deep at the base, and the hat rack portion is 14" deep. I haven't measured the space behind my rear seats, but I'd guess there is close to 14-15" of space to be had behind the seats with this hat rack. I think that's plenty for most small bags.

I just wanted to pass this info along in case anyone else finds it helpful in the future. If anyone still has pictures it would be appreciated!
  • I would agree with those dimensions as that is about what I have in my '74 model. All I have back there right now is 50 lbs of ballast.