WHAT HAPPENED TO ALTERNATIVE AV FUELS ?

Does anyone out there know what is going on with the aviation alternative fuels programs ? SWIFT fuel was one of the up and coming products and there was at least one more .............. Is the FAA stonewalling the process or have the OIL COMPANIES been trying to keep this from coming to market ? With current AVGAS prices there is not going to be an appreciable amount of aviation going on ............... I have seen too many airplanes parked with flat tires for a long time now. The status quo is killing off aviation activity in the USA and elsewhere .............................. WHAT SAY YOU ???

Comments

• Eric ............. Thank you !!! Very good article .................... but it seems to me that this effort has been stale for a long time now ................... I would like ask such organizations as AOPA what their position is on all of this and what are THEY doing about it ............ ??? I don't like the status quo
  • My take is that the Alphabet ORGs are taking a collective view in that they want a replacement "botique fuel" that works for all gasoline piston AC engines. This is in order to prevent pricing the high compression/horsepower operators out of the market. That POV is going to prevent solutions most of us would be fine with like 93UL from coming to market. More than likely, TEL will have to disappear from the market before we see a change in the status quo. At that point the heavy piston operators will all buy turbines or cease operations. In the interim, you can always buy a MOGAS STC.
  • Seems like a plausible explanation but I also have to ask ........... What is general aviation paying for the present day fuel around the world ? I heard that in Europe they are paying the equivalent of $10 USD per gallon (?) for AVGAS .............. The price of aviation fuels has nearly tripled in the last 10 years and there seems to be not so much discussion about what to do about it other than these efforts to bring other fuels to market, which has apparently been stalemated ..................... I understand that FAA is holding the reigns on approvals, they are in a way to blame for their bureaucratic processes and this is very damaging to the end users. What are organizations such as AOPA, who represents thousands of pilots in this country, doing or saying about this ? They get a pretty fair amount of $$$ from the members ................
  • Seems like a plausible explanation but I also have to ask ........... What is general aviation paying for the present day fuel around the world ? I heard that in Europe they are paying the equivalent of $10 USD per gallon (?) for AVGAS
    100LL is now around 13-14 $/USG most places in Europe.