Pilot Work load

Last August I had a Garmin GTN 650 and an STEC 30 with altitude hold and GPSS steering module installed in my 73 Piper Cherokee-challenger. Got my IFR rating with it in November. While I was able to use the auto pilot some during IFR training, we did not use it for holds. Had to hand fly the holds and hold entry calculations where by hand. Today I decided to see what the GTN 650 and STEC could do to ease pilot workload during the missed and hold. Flew the full RNAV 17 approach into Grand Rapids KGRR and asked for the published miss and hold. Once I went missed, the GTN ask me if I wanted to activate the missed and I selected that with a simple touch on the screen. Once I established a positive rate of climb and cleaned up the airplane, I activated the auto pilot in the GPSS heading mode. The tower advised me to climb to 4000 feet for the published hold and all I had to do was manage pitch for the climb the auto pilot flew the missed perfectly. I got to 4000 feet before the hold entry, leveled off and activated the altitude hold on the auto pilot. I had already mentally calculated that the current heading would call for a tear drop entry and sure enough the GTN 650 indicated the tear drop entry for the hold. Once I had engaged the altitude hold before entering the holding procedure, it was hands off and the auto pilot flew a perfect tear drop entry and then flew the hold with precision for 2 circuits until I told,it to exit the hold.

Having flown all my prior training and check ride holds by hand I was amazed at what this new auto pilot GTN combo can do for pilot work load. I had flown this plane VFR for 7 years and never had an auto pilot. Those of you who have flown the STEC are probably saying so what. But I will tell you as a new IFR pilot, the money I spent for this auto pilot GPS upgrade, is the best money I have ever spent in aviation. I am so much looking forward to spring to fully test my new avionics and IFR rating without the ever present threat of winter icing.

Comments

• Very cool! The best co pilot you could have as a single pilot IFR... is a good auto pilot.