Buying a Piper Turbo Arrow III

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and am after some advice... I'm just about to finish my PPL and am looking to buy a plane . I live in London and wanted to use it to fly to France and Germany. I have been looking at various single props (bonanza, TBM, Pipers) and Wanted to find out more about owning a Piper turbo arrow...

Does this sound like a sensible choice? Or is there another piper that would be better for me? I don't intend to do my IR so want a plane I can fly visual but it still fast enough to get from a to b in a reasonable time.

Doe anyone have an approximate cost for the annual check and maintenance?Is it significantly more than a non turbo? Also does anyone have a ball park for insurance?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments

• Hi I live in London and Franc I have 1982 turbo arrow for 13 years fly 50 to 100 cost about £5000.00 to run + fuel .£1.60 per L @ 42 L per H
    John H
  • One thing to consider is whether you want the extra expense and maintenance of the turbo at all. If you are not flying IFR, you will probably want to spend most of your time beneath any cloud cover, and the real benefits of turbo are seen way high. You do get to go faster, though.
  • I flew an Arrow II for 7 years. I bought a Turbo Arrow III last Summer. More take off power... faster at all altitudes, but most improvement is higher up. The Conti engine can be trouble unless you know how to fly it in which case I think it is good.