High altitude takeoff and taxiing

I am a flatland Louisiana pilot and owner of a turbocharged Piper Saratoga PA32/301T. I'm flying to Taos NM altitude 7095 ft. My question is Do I lean the mixture for taxiing and then apply full rich for the takeoff roll when the turbo kicks in. Or do I lean it a bit for the takeoff also?

Comments

• Hi, email me up. MJDAIR@MSN.com. Thx Mark. Living in the Rocky Mtns is alot of fun.
  • I am actually curious as to what you are supposed to do with a turbo plane, so please post your answer! With the normally aspirated engines in the planes I fly what I do is set the throttle to full open and adjust the mixture for best power during runup, and then don't touch it any more. Is anything done differently with turbo?
  • I didnt get to hear from ya, but here is an opinion. I am pretty sure that your injection system had its idle mixture adjusted for an altitude much less than this hi altitude ap. So if you use full mixture for takeoff, I am sure that engine performance will be affected. Any thought about using your EGT gauge? Adjustments to mixture and set mixture to rich of EGT peak at Static (Not moving) Take off power. OR without EGT gauge adjust mixture for maximum RPM takeoff power with smooth operation of the engine as a deciding factor. ALSO NOTE, Ensure that no engine Redlines are exceeded. Folks, Lycoming offers a great reference called KEY REPRINTS. It is free. Call Lycoming and request one. Some of this subject was word smithed from them. Also another great book is SKY RANCH ENGINEERING MANUAL (All Engine topics and problems are discussed).