1979 Warrior

All -

I am a new pilot - 112 hours. Have only flown a 172. Have found a virtually abandoned 1979 Warrior, last annual was 2005! Total engine time is 3915, engine is most likely 150 hours away from overhaul. Although it may need a new engine or a new 'used' engine due to neglect. It is located in Austin, Texas. Exterior is fine.

Next question - have recently found a 1963 Cherokee 160 - hangared and in GREAT shape for around $32k. Flying currently and ready to go - owner moved up to Lancair.

Question - if you could get the Warrior for between $5,000 to $10,000 and then plow another $20,000 into it - which is the better plane?

Background - married with two young kids (7 and 9) and this plane would serve the family for trips around Texas and occasional out of state. Needless to say, and you see it coming would love... speed and comfort when choosing between the two and resale value 3 to 5 years down the road.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Comments

• My thoughts would be to engage an A&P to evaluate the Warrior for you and help you develop an estimate for making it airworthy again. I would want the A&P to look it over for any corrosion, test compressions, see if it would start, and review log books and determine all the ADs that have been issued that would need to be done. You can expect a lot of expense up front such as new tires, oil change, and new battery. You will need to decide the level of effort you can make to the restoration because it will cost a lot less if you are helping the A&P and factor that into your decision. Add the expected costs to make it airworthy (including your purchase prices) and then compare to prices of a Warrior that is already airworthy. Also, you would want to pull the records on the plane from Oklahoma and verify that there are no liens against the plane.
  • The 160 will probably have a better useful load. Being a Cessna guy, you will probably like the way the Warrior flies a lot more. The Warrior also will have more leg room. For either plane,pProbably 8 years and if the family still flies together you will need something bigger. Even 10K sounds like a steal to me for the Warrior. I would assume going in that you need to overhaul or replace the engine and all soft goods (tires, belts, hoses, filters, orings.
  • I was once a new pilot, and bought a plane which was stored in a garage, with its wings off. It looked like a great deal, but the reality was that it never flew again as far as I know. I would only consider an abandoned plane if I were an experience mechanic, with lots of time on my hands. If you have to pay a mechanic to work on the plane, it will cost you more than the plane is worth.

The 1963 Cherokee 180 might be very good. But you really have to do some more looking around. A well maintained plane will be a definite plus for you.

Good luck in your search.

Robin
    Laminarflowsystems.com