NPRM Piper Cherokee wing corrosion AD

If you go on regulations.gov and search FAA-2017-1059 you can comment on the proposed AD. It only takes a couple of minutes. As you can see, I feel the FAA needs to start embracing "new" technology in the inspection of our aircraft. If you agree, please comment on the NPRM so we hopefully don't need to cut more inspection holes in our aircraft.

Here is what I wrote:

During inspections of the 3 Cherokees that I maintain or have maintained, I have had no problem inspecting the suspect area with a borescope through the butt rib lightening holes after removing the fairing on the lower surface between the fuselage and wing. In fact, I am able to get a clearer view of many areas of an aircraft than with a mirror and flashlight and am able to inspect areas that are impossible to see no matter the viewing angle or inspection hole locations.

A quality borescope, such as the BK8000 I use by Snap-on, along with many others, will show details that are impossible to see in the corners of wing cavities and hidden wing and tail attach areas that are susceptible to corrosion and other damage.

I therefore urge you to allow an alternative method of inspecting this area by the use of a borescope through the butt rib as opposed to cutting in additional inspection plates.

In my opinion, mandating that the inspection required by this proposed AD be accomplished by the use of a borescope would provide a higher level of safety than peering inside the wing with a mirror and flashlight.

Comments

• Thank you for writing this information. I agree whole-heartedly and will make comments. Thanks again.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!