Fastest? Archer? And frosted plugs..

Flew to Virginia two days ago. Had an awesome tailwind resulting the GS indicated in the lower left of the G5.

Plugs: Flew from Virginia yesterday to Lexington, KY...around a 2.5 hour flight. Temps were in the 20’s Farenheit. Was at KLEX for 3 hours, returned to depart at 5:30pm. Normal start procedure, engine started to fire once, did not start. Cranked on/off for several minutes, tried flooded start procedure...no joy. Spoke with my A&P, suggested may be frosted plugs, rare, but ideal conditions for the occurrence. Moisture in cylinders following long flight coats plugs, actually freezes on electrodes, preventing ignition. Not enough heat while cranking, no spark. Luckily KLEX had heated hangar and extension cord to plug in my belly heater. 1 hour later, started right up. Hopefully information will help another pilot in similar situation.
Safe flying!

Comments

• I would hate to see the ground speed going the other way!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• edited February 2019

Nice ground speed. Don't look the other way, lol. :) BTW, I've had frosted plugs more than a few times in my life. I'm glad you got through it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• My first plug occurrence.. I am a slightly better educated pilot! Winds that day, IF I had returned turned a 1.5 hour trip into a 5.5 hour trip. I waited til the next day, only 2.5 hours.

• Scott,
    Crossing aircraft forum lines...I have enrolled in the Cessna Owners Association...have paid my dues. Am unable to sign in..have my member number. Emailed their contact...no response.
    Thanks in advance..Kent

• Member #84120100150

• Member #84120100150

• I saw the Cessna moderator has the same name as the Piper site! Lol

• Yup! I do both :) FYI: I emailed Samantha and will follow up with her first thing Tuesday morning. Let me know when you hear something and I'm terribly sorry you didn't get a quick response. I will fix it asap!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• No problem! Thank you for your assistance. Glad to know you are “there” also.

• You're welcome. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    Samantha emailed this morning. All is well!. I logged in successfully. Thank you for your help

• Roger that! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• That is about 10 knots higher than the fastest I have seen in my Archer. I got about 187 on a flight from KCNM (Carlsbad NM) to KOUN (Norman OK).

• Was fun/quick flight!