Piper Wing Spars

What is the background on this and what are the parameters to affect Piper PA28/PA32 airplanes ? How is the method of compliance accomplished ? Timeline to become AD ? What is the Piper SB for this ? Does anyone have an update on all of this ?
Thank you !!!

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. There's an entire thread on this in this forum and many members and chatted about this as well as posting of the nprm AD. To be concise, there is an AD coming out and the public comment period has ended. Piper CEO Simon Caldecott has written the FAA and requested changes. The FAA hasn't made anything final yet. The proposed AD has the formula in it but it's not official. I haven't heard anything on a new Piper SB at this point. Does this help?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hello Scott !!! Thank you for the quick reply here !!! Yes, I am looking to possibly obtain a 1967 Piper Arrow 180 and am also looking at Piper Cherokee 180's .............. this has really piqued my interest as this could be a real serious issue for cost ownership and safety. I understand that Piper has in fact issues a service bulletin to address the inspection of the rear wing spar via installed inspection plates. I will go look for that thread ......... Thank you !!!

• The only piece of advice that you should follow in a purchase is this. Don't buy a plane used for training if you can help it. How do you know? Look for 100 hour inspections in the log books.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!