Locking Gas Caps

My first adventure in owning an airplane is starting off a little rocky. I flew my new-to-me Archer home on Thursday. I do not have a hangar for it yet so I parked it on the line in front of the mechanic’s hangar in order for him to do a few “punch list” items. Today, I took my wife over to show her everyrhing and noticed my tanks showed empty. It was a little disconcerting. I got out and visually checked the tanks...bone dry. Someone siphoned about 15 gallons out. I KNOW it was not the mechanic. I have known him a long time and trust him completely.

In light of this, does anyone make locking gas caps for an Archer?

Ron Himmelreich, USN Retired
N774PC 1974 Piper Archer 180

Comments

• Wow, that's horrible. I've been flying 55 years and I've never experienced that. I'm so sorry.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• What airport did this occur ? I believe have heard of similar stories elsewhere .........

• This thread is six pages long over on the red board.

• Yes, it has some serious thread drift too. It was PUJ just outside of Atlanta. There is little doubt in my mind anymore that it was siphoned out. The only the other thing would be a one-time or intermittent leak which are rare in my experience. I have ruled out everything else except alien abduction... :wink:

Ron Himmelreich, USN Retired
    N774PC 1974 Piper Archer 180

• Aliens utilize Jet A. Lol