New member, piper Aztec D

Hello all. Have had several pipers over the years, my first one was right after high school in 1967 Cherokee 180. No 30 years later having many aircraft this Aztec reminds me of my first Cherokee. Lots of fun. Look forward to being here.

Comments

• So glad to meet you! Can you post a couple of pics? :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• So sorry.. did not see this couple of years ago.. I have since sold the Aztec, and bought an Apache.. will post pics soon.

• That's great. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of both. The Apache is the early version of the Aztec?

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Love them both. Even the 1955 Apache is incredibly roomy and comfortable. It’s just the original 150hp engines but is fairly light so the 100 hp difference is obvious, but doesn’t mean the Apache isn’t capable. They feel very similar actually, but the max weight is 1700 lbs different.. both have virtually identical profile to the cub naca profile and there’s a flight envelope that favors the stable lower to middle part of the airspeed indicator. Real world burn numbers are 22-24 gph at 165 knots in the Aztec at 10k the Apache is 14-16 gph at 130 knots in the 7-9k range. There are a few Geronimo mods that help, eventually want some more.. I usually flew the Aztec in the 60-65% range and the Apache at the 75% ish. Those are what I would regularly get, but flew the Aztec much more when it was around, and I just bought the Apache. I have had several over the years, it’s nice to have one again, although I am trying to buy back my Aztec for me actually. The Apache is for my son to build time in and to rent out for block time only. (No training). I also have a 1952 Cessna 170B and a 1961 Mooney M20B, so gonna be busy 😊

• Here they are.

• Aztec was 2000 lb useful load 144 gallons, Apache is 1320 lb useful and 108 gallons.