NZ Govt offers ADS-B grant

Good news story, the New Zealand government is going to offer all GA a $2500(USD$1900) grant for ADS-B out and $500 for ADS-B in. Why I have no idea.

Comments

• I suppose they have some small print techo language that it must be a New Zealand registered airplane or some other out to keep us from sharing in the grant. :s

• Just fly your plane here, register and voila

• edited October 2019

Very interesting that they're going to support ADS-B In. I was under the impression that only the US has "in".

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• We can use the in for aircraft data, no plans for wx, notams etc at this stage.

Scott what should I do? The aircraft's avionics were going to need an upgrade. I was going to just revert to looking at for panels that others were swapping out rather than the latest and greatest. I have the GNS 530(non-wass), the other GPS is now not supported so will need to be changed out. If I upgrade the 530 to WAAS it can display 8 x traffic. If I get the GTX345R I think I can link it to the 530. Or get a newish panel to add to 530, or a GNX375 or a L3 NGT-9000 Lynx. Any other options in your mind? Are these models on the AML(which seems very hard to find) for a Navajo? Thanks in advance. John

• edited October 2019

Hi John, decisions decisions. There's so much good equipment out there but let's try and make this simple. In my humble opinion, a Navaho shouldn't have small equipment. Your panel Is further away from you then in most airplanes. Since you have a 530 and it has value, look at swapping it for an Avidyne 540. There is almost no installation cost going from a 530 to a 540. If you were to switch to anything else it might cost as much as $5k just for rewiring a GPS. I'm on my second 540 and I'm very happy. I have a GTX345 connected to my 540, Aspen and Foreflight. And that's connected to an Stec 55x. All good equipment. In your case, I would trade/sell the 530 while is has value and get something new and reliable. The only real advice I have is that no matter what you choose, it all has to play together. Garmin sometimes has problems with interoperability. Pick a reliable avionics shop and work with them.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Is there some problem with the forum, the look is completely different and my login is not working.

• Hi Bill,
    Our IT department just upgraded releases this evening. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!