Hard time starting

My Arrow fires right up when it’s cold, but I had a heck of a time getting it going after lunch today. Aside from the embarrassment from everyone watching me struggle, I worry about my starter and battery.

What are your guys’ tricks to a “warm start”?

Jim M.
PA-28R-200
Based at BUU
ATC Chicago TRACON

Comments

• That Lyc. IO-360 is kind if finicky when it is hot. After a turns of the prop and it doesn't start I just prime it like a cold start and run the throttle to full and treat it like a flooded start. Always works for me.
    Austin

• Austin, the internet at large tends to agree with you! I'll give that a try next time. It starts fine when it's cold, and it starts when it's hot without issue. It's when it's in that window of about 30 minutes post-shutdown that it is the toughest to get going.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Vapor lock, Jim. When you land, open the oil cooler door and let the heat out if you're not going to be there very long. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I have never had hot start issues with my IO-360 even here in Colorado at very high density altitudes (gas vaporizes easier than at low altitudes). I also don't bother opening the oil access door. The engine always starts within a few blades by leaving the mixture at cut-off, throttle cracked and fuel boost pump on while cranking. As soon as it starts mixture to lean position and fuel pump goes off. This is over 17 years of "experience" :) I acknowledge that this method is not "the book" method but it works every time.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Jim, that is the exact hot-start procedure I use!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• You two should write a treatise on starting finicky engines, lol. :) You're obviously both pro's.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Necessity is the mother of invention!!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)