I want to obtain a multi-engine rating

How much time does it require?

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• Hi Harley,
    You can do one in a weekend :) ten hours concentrated is all it takes.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you, Scott!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Scott's about right. Two hours with two running and eight on one! What airplane are you using?
    Austin

• edited December 2019

A B-26 Marauder...just kidding...Piper Seminole.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• During my multi-engine training I always complained that they were charging me for two engines when I spent most of the time flying around on one?

One thing about the Seminole (or probably any twin)....you can’t chop the power over the threshold like most of us do in our singles...you’ll run out of energy really quickly! Ideally, you’ll be reducing the throttles all the way to the runway and be at idle when you get into ground effect.

Good luck on your multi training!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Jim, thanks for the advice. I have approx. 15 hours in a PA-39 Twin Comanche that a friend owned, and of course, he was always with me when I flew it.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Ah, so you just need to make the multi rating official!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Actually I'm building a 1/9 scale Douglas A-26 for radio control.
    Austin

• Austin, you fly rc too? I've been flying rc since I was 13 years old! Right now I am building a Balsa USA Eindecker with an 80" wing span.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I did my ATP in a Seneca. It will be very familiar to any Piper flyer and flies very nicely. I think either piper platform will work nicely.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Yes, I've been flying RC all my life. I'm into scale stuff including turbines. Currently reworking an ARF A-26B. I got my ATP in a Citation (near jet) many years ago.
    Austin