LYNX NGT9000

Just ordered the NGT9000 which comes with the voice alert system for traffic. Not getting active traffic because in NZ everyone has to have ADS-B by end of next year anyway. I like the traffic alert ability which I do not have now. The aerodrome I operate out from is NZ's busiest but has no ATC just a UNICOM so it is a nightmare operating the Navajo surrounded by student pilots training. Plus we sit next to Auckland International so Ardmore's departures and arrivals are tight.

Any tips on the NGT9000?

Comments

• I have the NGT9000 in my 1966 Cherokee 180. Fantastic piece of equipment. I have had an issue where it would refuse to display METAR information but that was quickly resolved with a software update. You will need avionics support from an authorized dealer for installation and updates.

The unit interfaces well with my iPad mini 4 as it came with a wifi module. You might want to confirm the wifi module is still part of the package you intend to order.

Not all of the NGT9000 units come with voice alerts enabled. In my case, I was lucky to receive a promotional coupon from L3 at Airventure which was a $600 value for the voice alerts.

I will say that the traffic is usually very close when my NGT9000 calls it, and it does not call out every target. It has to be a threat meaning the targets course and yours are very close to intersecting.

It is not a substitute for air traffic control. You must still keep an eye out for traffic but it does increase your awareness of the need to be vigilant. You will see more aircraft than you ever thought were around you!

One last thing. My older altitude encoder takes about 10 minutes to warm up and until it does, the NGT9000 will give you failure messages related to the lack of an altitude reference. It is quite annoying to have to clear these. You might consider a newer instant on altitude encoder to avoid this inconvenience. I'm seriously considering it.

Regards,

Mike

• We dont have metar or notams in NZ via this method anyway, I just want the traffic feature

• Also probably the other traffic not on ADS-B yet

• The traffic not broadcasting ADS-B can only display if you purchase the optional TAS feature, or if you are receiving the rebroadcast from air traffic control. Not sure if air traffic control rebroadcast of traffic is available in NZ? The TAS feature is able to query other aircraft transponders even if they do not have ADS-B out. There is also an optional Terrain Awareness and Warning System. I have not been to NZ but the beautiful landscapes I have seen in movies look like that might be a good option to have?

Regards,

Mike
  • Update, no install due to lock-down, shame as it is paid for and I want to play with it. I think the Active Traffic option picks up the Mode C and S transponders. I decided not to get that due to the requirement for all aircraft to have ADS-B by end of next year. I do have the TAS option which is now free. I didn't get terrain for 2 reasons. 1. I intend getting a new PFD set-up which will have that anyway plus I have an older version on the 530. 2. NZ has 2 main long islands. One has the Southern Alps, a 500 km long range with 16? peaks over 10,000 ft and one around 12000 ft, the range beginning pretty much from 200-300 feet above sea level. It is nasty. Lots of snow in winter. Very windy, winds from Antarctica strong but the prevailing winds Westerly perpendicular to the range. So radical dangerous turbulence. In summary terrain avoidance really doesn't help VFR there and IFR you are well out of it. Night VFR difficult because of vast uninhabited areas. In the North Island I have flown a 172 in full climb but dropping at 5000 feet per minute.

• Thanks John for your comments. Stay well.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!