These Times Of Social Instability ... COVID-19, etc

Hi everyone,
I've been thinking about this whole pandemic thing that we find ourselves going through. It's certainly scary at worst and unsettling at best. We worry about our kids, spouses, parents, friends, jobs and income, and lots of other things. Like what? Like the actual disease, too. So my advice is this: We have a great association here, the Piper Owners Society, and you and I are part of it. Let's support each other during this troubling time. Even if what you have to say isn't about airplanes but rather about COVID-19 or related, use the forums to communicate. I'm hear for you and all of our other members are, too. So stay well and fall back on me. I care about all of our members and I'm dedicated to you. Stay well.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Thanks Scott. It has been fun to get back into aviation and airplane ownership. I'm glad to be a part of this community.

Buying an airplane right before this whole virus craziness was bad timing, but I'm still glad I have my Cherokee 140 to tinker around with. I'm self employed and a lot of projects have been canceled through May. I'm lucky that I have some other ongoing projects to work on right now. Plus, now I have more time to work on, and fly, my airplane.

I know a lot of other folks are in desperate situations, and I feel really bad for them. We are trying to help out as many friends and neighbors that we can.

Take care and don't panic. :-)

• edited March 2020

Scott;

Thank you for your words of kindness and support. The aviation community is pretty tight knit as we are all bonded by a common theme. We'll stand with you and provide support for each other, our families, and provide assistance to others in any way we can. I personally have friends who have been affected, so it's no joke to me.

This pandemic has certainly put a hard IFR cloud over everything, but just like the worst storms, the weather is always clear after it passes. This will pass too. It may get worse, or it may not. None of us have a crystal ball to know (if we did, we'd have seen it coming), but one way or another, we will get through. Keep the faith, keep tabs on your family, and keep your "social distance".

Speaking of "social distance", I'm thinking 8,500 feet should do.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• 8,500 ft is definitely our kind of social distance. lol I have a new headliner and window molding to put in so I think I'm going to start that this weekend. I was supposed to be with some of my EAA chapter friends tomorrow for a Master Pilot ceremony. We just got notification from our FAA rep that we have to cancel it. His daughter has Covid-19 symptoms and she's getting tested. I also read that the Midway airport was closed when several controllers tested positive. Let's all be careful and stay well.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, thank you so very much for your kind words and your support, it means a lot to me!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Roger that, Harley. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Read an article written by a doctor in Italy...99% of their Coronavirus deaths occurred in people that had severe diabetes, high blood pressure, COPD, or other heart issues.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Does Jack Daniels withdrawal put me in a high risk category? lol

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, come to North Dakota! I have plenty of single-malt Scotch whisky!!!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• edited March 2020

Scott, I'm with Harley. Enjoy some good single malt Scotches or Irish Whiskies. If you can't make it up to ND to hang with Harley, come to the Chicago area and we'll stock you up. It's a wee dram closer.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I live in Milwaukee, fellows and I can go to both places! Back in the day I used to take my Lear to Jamestown, ND monthly. And I grew up in Evanston and after college lived in Arlington Heights (Chicago). I can come to both places!!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited March 2020

Gentlemen...when this is all over, as it will be, let us all gather together, eat, drink, raise a toast, and thank the good Lord for all He has given us!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Scott, you flew a Lear? Holy Cow!!! Better than Batman!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Almost, Harley. I worked as an IT manager for a fortune 100 company back in the 70's and 80's. We had three Lears; two 35's and one 55. I was a passenger once a week to go to Jamestown, ND; Pocatello, ID; Evansville, IN; and Erie, PA. It was one of the best parts of my job. Here's a pic of me back then! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm with you Harley! I don't care where we meet up; maybe OSH? I'll bring a bottle of my favorite single malt Scotch, and a single grain (yes, single grain) Irish Whiskey. We'll break some bread and raise a toast or 3.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• We plan to fly into Airventure with Cherokees to Oshkosh...good Lord willing! I will drink a toast with you guys anywhere, any time!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I killed off whatever coronavirus I came in contact with tonight. Laphroaig single-malt whisky is a great medicine!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Laphroaig is always a favorite. Good smokey flavor. You have good taste my friend. I killed my viruses tonight with a Teeling single grain.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited March 2020

Scott,
    I went to HS in Arlington Heights, and I've been in the IT industry since somewhere around the late 1800's, back when we had to shovel coal into the computer and bring the boilers up to steam. We'll have to compare notes at OSH. Our paths must have crossed somewhere.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks everyone, I'll be at Oshkosh at the Piper Owner Society booth :) I'm looking forward to seeing you guys!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hey you guys! I have more single-malt here than I can drink, and we are virus-free. Come on up!!!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• All this talk about scottish whisky (remember, if you go to a pub in Scotland - NEVER ask for "a scotch"). At least we have good evidence of the anti-viral properties of alcohol. Stop by, my little collection is about 8.2 nm from KSFB ;)

1974 Arrow II
    ATP CFII MEI CFIG A&P AGII FCC GROL with Radar Endorsement

• Just catching up with the news...Harley...I really like Laphroaig. While across the pond, I got a bottle of Aultmore which is also good...Joe...love the gathering place...cheers!

• edited March 2020

Wow Joe, that's a most impressive scotch wall! You win!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Jim, I agree...a rather impressive collection of whisky!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV