How do you climb after take-off in Archer II?

Hi there, I hope not a silly question but how do you manage your engine RPM on climb after take-off? I have an Archer II and was instructed to maintain full throttle until altitude, but noticed on another flight school checklist it said 2450rpm. I’ve checked the POH and nothing specifically mentioned. The reason I ask is that my no. 4 cylinder on my JPI is approaching 400 on climb at about 87kts, but normalises in straight and level flight. How do you do it?

Comments

• I should mention that I climb at about 87kt as I live in a hot region and want to ensure good airflow through the engine compartment - that’s what I was instructed.

• In my Arrow POH I have performance charts which I don't follow. Rather, I climb based on EGT and CHT temps. Engine first, climb performance second. Of course, a short field or obstructed field and I go back to the manual. Normally I climb at about 800 ft per min while the temps are cool.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Mixture full rich, and pitch for a higher airspeed in the climb, maybe 100kt for better cooling airflow.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Thanks Scott & Jim

• What Scott said... with respect to obstacle clearance... engine (<$25-35K) first. The good news is that you have a JPI, many only have a single CHT reference.

1974 Arrow II
    ATP CFII MEI CFIG A&P AGII FCC GROL with Radar Endorsement

• I climb at vx until 1000 agl, then i start off at 90kts for a bit while the cht's increase and when the hottest one hits 385 or so i lower the noise to keep it below 390...i get what i get for climb then.

Slo
  • Cheers, Joe and Slo.