1964 Piper 235 panel ideas

Hello all,

Nearly new owner here. In negotiations for hopefully a purchase of a 235. Nearly have my ppl but have had scheduling my checkride suspended due first to DPE lack of open slots and now the Covid-19 pandemic. So I keep flying the rental 172. I am seeking ideas on an eventual panel upgrade. I have included a picture below. It has typical vintage instruments and the shotgun placement.

ADF
KNS 80 Nav
KY 197E Com
KX 155 Nav/Com
Narco AT-50A transponder
Century IIB A/P

So the plan is to fly as is for now. Eventually I would like to proceed with my instrument rating in this plane. I may retrofit the left side sooner and move the instruments to the standard 6 pack. Supposedly everything works but we will see during the pre-buy inspection. I fly and train with a Sentry, iPad, and Foreflight but just for airport info, ADS-B Wx and traffic alerts. I don't have ownship turned on as it won't be allowed on the checkride. I also use it for flight logging so I can debrief each flight in CloudAhoy.

So I know the panel is a relic but I'm thinking there is some utility there that I can use in the meantime. Let me know what you all think about the present and ideas about future upgrades without putting me in the poor house (if that is possible). Thanks.

Comments

• Hi, if you're going to put money into it, here's what I would do if it were my plane.
    1. Put in a pair of G5's and GFC-500 autopilot. Or another autopilot and an Aspen. Redo the panel so that it's in standard configuration.
    2. Put in a Garmin or Avidyne GPS.
    3. Put in a Garmin 345 transponder with ADS-B in and out.
    4. If the KX-155 works, keep it. If not, put in an MX-155 from TKM and you won't have to rewire it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• And, if you put in dual G5 displays with a GFC 500 or other digital autopilot, you can eliminate the vacuum system on your plane and get rid of 20+ pounds of weight!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Right you are Harley. In my Arrow III I got a 30 pound useful load increase!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks guys. Appreciate your comments/ideas. Will start putting together a list and plan.