New here with a question

New to the Society/forum and have a question.

I am in need of some good (accurate) fuselage cross section drawings of the Cherokee 180 fuselage. I've tried Piper and the museum in PA with no luck. Also the parts and service manual offer little help.

Now for the reason. Due to health reasons I can no longer fly full size even as a passenger. So I get my fix with radio control models.

I am in the process of building a 30% scale model of the Piper Cherokee 180C my father owned in the 1960's. The exact model year of his plane was 1964.

I have a set of 30% plans for a 140 but the accuracy of the original is suspect. It's close but not to the level I'd like. e.g. these plans use a conventional horizontal stab and elevator. The cross section at the stab is also incorrect on these plans. I've corrected that with considerable research, pics, etc..

But I could really use some accurate fuselage cross section drawings with which to check the plans I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Thanks for writing. If I run across any drawings I'll let you know.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott! Appreciate it.

Kevin

• Sounds like a great project! Do you intend to model the stabilator? I have been flying models for many years and something I read years ago...an exact scale model of a full scale aircraft does not fly as well. There are some compromises that must be made. Wish I could remember the details. Perhaps the AMA has some information about scaling a full size aircraft or perhaps you are already aware of the issues? I own a 1966 Cherokee C if you need me to measure something :)