Dakota glass thickness

Anyone know off hand what thickness comes on pa28-236 side and door windows? LP aero has .125 or .187 and .250 big price difference and all windows are STC’d Not sure if I’m reading the catalog correct. Was on hold for 10 minutes so I hung up. Better luck on this forum 😁

Comments

• edited April 2020

Hi, standard thickness is 1/8". On my Arrow I just installed all 1/4" side windows and windshield. My windshield is now one-piece, too. Also, I made my plane look like my car: black in the back, gray in the middle and mostly clear at the front seats. It looks awesome and it's much quieter. And I don't have to worry about bird strikes as much. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott

• Hey Scott. Where did you get cloth material for above glare shield. What type and supplier. Also I see some rivets on my defrost vents. What did you do with them? I ordered glass and making sure I e got all materials needed prior to starting project. I went with two piece windshield and .250 windows with door vent. Same as my archer Had that done 15 years ago so I do not remove some sources. Thanks. And your Arrow looks fantastic

• There are a few places you can go for glareshield materials. One: Knots2U sells premade glareshields and they're awesome, easy to install and inexpensive. I used one on my Seneca two years ago. Unfortunately, they didn't have one for my model Arrow . Two: I called Airtex Interiors and got bulk fabric. Then I cut it to match my old headliner and contact cemented it in. Easy as pie, lol, just not as easy as the Knots2U glareshield. On my defrost vents were screws. However, drill out the rivets as the glareshield goes under those vents. Then rerivet. All easy while the windshield is out.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• How real is the noise reduction benefit if one goes with .25" side windows?

• Scott, Is the back black window opaque or just tinted very dark but still see-through?
    It does look sharp! Great Job!!

• It's clear, just dark. The name of the glass is Dark Grey SC-74.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, how difficult was going with 1/4" one piece wind screen on your Arrow?

• edited April 2020

Piece of cake. The brackets that had screw holes needed to be redrilled but truly easy. While not as easy as reusing the old holes it took about an hour to drill all of the holes on all of the side windows. Definitely worth the time and not difficult.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• New to the group. I have a 77 Archer II, I’m replacing the orig nav lights and strobes with new Whalen Orion 650 and 500. . Advice on installation.
    Dan
  • Scott - did you have to do anything special to caulc the 0.25 side windows? I am having mine installed next week

• Ikstarcher - PRC is an approved aviation window sealant. I used it on my windows, and after 12 years, it is still holding strong with no leaks. There are other window sealants out there, but the PRC works very well, and is made for aircraft. I'll let others chime in on what they've used.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• My shop followed the directions that came with the windows. Piece of cake!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!