FCC rolls over to deep pockets Ligado

Better hope you don't have to do a "for-real" LPV around Ligado's terrestrial transmitter sites!!!

The five members of the Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously to approve a request by Ligado Networks to use satellite frequencies neighboring those used by GPS to broadcast from ground antennas for 5G, the agency announced Monday morning.

Repeated testing of the plan since it was first proposed by Ligado’s predecessor firm LightSquared in 2010 has shown that supporting terrestrial communications with the frequencies, which are in a band used by satellite systems, could interfere with GPS receivers. That testing included changes made by the firm to ease interference including reducing the amount of power in the signals and forgoing use of frequencies closest to GPS.

Jim Torley
CFI-A/I/G
1969 Arrow 200
Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

Comments

• Hmmm, I read about that. Have you flown one?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• 1 for real last year here at KCOS coming back from a long trip but numerous "under the hood".

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Thanks Jim.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I did an LPV a few weeks ago into LAF. Broke out at about 400’ and the runway was right in front of me! There wasn’t an ILS available for this approach anyway, but the LPV was just as precise and easier to set up with my equipment. For ease of transition from enroute to approach, I prefer the RNAV approaches with the glideslope.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• LPV's are great! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!