External Power

I'm wondering about using external power so I can plink around with the avionics and accessories in my new (to me) 1976 Archer II. The POH talks about using the external power receptacle only for jump starting, and a quick look at the wiring diagram is unclear whether external power makes its way anywhere other than the main and starting solenoids. The other option might be to plug 12v into the cigarette lighter receptacle.

I've done a quick search here but didn't see anything. What do folks recommend?

Thanks,
Skip

Skip Kazmarek
1976 PA-28-181 Archer II

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. Here's what alot of Piper owners are using: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/portPowerCharger12pip.php?clickkey=12347

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I have a plug for my external power and think a simple battery minder hooked to that while the master is on would take care of the needs. FYI no power goes through that connection unless the master is on. If your battery goes to zero you can't engage the solenoid to get power in and need to jump it directly.

• edited August 2020

Scott -- thanks. I saw that, but although the product description says it will power the avionics, I can't tell from the wiring diagram in the POH that it will actually work. It sounds like, though, we have actual experience from other owners that it does, in fact, work. Right? And then, if that's right, why wouldn't a 12v battery connected to an external power plug work just as well?

Jimcurns -- thanks as well. From the wiring diagram, and from the experience of others, though, I think external power can be used to start the engine with the master off. Are you saying that, apart from powering the starter solenoid, powering the DC buss from external power works if the master is on?

Thanks again to both of you. I appreciate it. I'm actually medium good at understanding electricity stuff, but my dad always used to say is that the problem with most wiring diagrams is that they're drawn by mechanical engineers. :) I see what he means.

Skip

Skip Kazmarek
    1976 PA-28-181 Archer II

• Hi guys,

So here's the ultimate test. I'm assuming you have jumper cables for your plane. If not, Aircraft Spruce and Sporty's have Piper-specific cables. Plug them into your plane and attach to your car and test before you buy an external power supply. And as for plan B: Just attach car jumper cables directly to your battery (not using the external plug and socket) and use that :) Good luck, fellows!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I got the battery under from aircraft spruce. I called them. They said that their battery minder will provide power to the battery as it is discharged for avionics. I have used it with my Dakota and found that to be true. It also makes your battery last longer. You need an A&P to connect it to your ship but it is totally worth the investment. Land, put your airplane away, plug it in and let it do what it does. If no hangar, then yes, you will need some kind of self contained remote power.
  • I use a start pac for hangar work, extended full avionics powerup for learning in the cockpit and a battery minder for keeping the battery charged when not in use.

https://startpac.com/products/model-53050-12-14v/

https://www.batteryminders.com/aircraft-battery-chargers

PA-31
    KHIO
    Garmin Everything

• Thanks again to everyone. I'm not sure a Battery Minder will work. This is on their website: "IMPORTANT: This harness is designed only for maintenance battery charging, not for supplying ground power for airframe operations. Disconnect the charger before turning on airframe electrical power." However the startpac might work. I'm going to check it out today.

Skip

Skip Kazmarek
    1976 PA-28-181 Archer II

• edited September 2020

SkipRD; Correct, do not use the Battery Minder for ground power. A start pack, external battery connected via jumper cables directly to your battery or power through the external plug is the way to go. I've attached a snippet from the Cherokee Service Manual regarding ground power, especially useful if starting an aircraft using external/ground power.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• So, we're certain that you can't (shouldn't) use a Battery Minder to power the avionics to start the aircraft. However, I want to maintain the charge and de-sulfinate without having to remove everything from the luggage area, removing the cover from the tail section and (worse) wrestle with the latches on the battery cover. I don't want to jump start nor use the avionics. The Battery Minder would always be disconnected before the master or avionics were switched on.

According the information on the Plug & Jump on the Aircraft Spruce website, "It is not recommended to charge the battery with the plug and jump. Aviation battery chargers have specific outputs designed for battery maintenance that this simple plug and jump does not have." That statement makes no sense since the "specific outputs are what the BatteryMinder has. The Plug & Play is simply a passive device.

According to Piper's schematic, the battery is connected directly to the master solenoid which has a direct connection to the external power solenoid. There is also a connection from the external power solenoid that loops through the master solenoid and goes to the master switch. That being the case, it would appear that you should be able to use a BatteryMinder to maintain a charge via the auxiliary receptacle.

I'm not an electrician much less an avionics guy but I'm not seeing anything that would indicate that the current flow is interrupted between the auxiliary power receptacle and the battery. What am I missing?

• AB:

Post your model and year for specific answers. There are differences, but in general an external BatteryMinder connected via the external power port won't work.

VFRs,

• IIRC, our batteries are AGM style (or something similar) which are not prone to the sulfation issue, this is more of a wet cell design factor. Am sure a better expert will correct me.