Reliability of Instruments

2»

Comments

• I do agree but I also take a cue from the airlines. When an airliner takes off, it switches to autopilot, flight director and FMS immediately. They don't hand fly airliners on the bulk of the flight. And I don't either. As a single pilot flying cross country (IFR or VFR) I can be a much more alert systems manager and weather and traffic monitor when I can look around. I do hand fly approaches during training sessions monthly to retain my skills. I'm also lucky to have a red bird simulator that I use alot.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes I totally agree, the best backup is pilot training. I have my night vfr and on one of my cross-country trips my instructor said " can you see anything?" I said Nope. 20 miles visibility, ovc, no moon and northern Ontario, no lights not even a tower. He said your flying ifr. I could see the workload could be taxing for my skill level if I were to have an emergency. The legacy system uses the ai, so if i have a vacuum fail the ap fails? The new systems i think just use the gps ahrs? So if one gps fails I could use another. What if the constellation of satellites goes down? Does this mean no ap? I have read they have scheduled blackouts. My instructor showed me i could check that on my gps. Can the ap get attitude info from the Aspen E5?
    Sorry for all the questions, like I said new pilot still wet behind the ears LOL
    I'm gonna take Scotts advise and go with the E5 and TT ap.
  • Good decision. I have the Aspen Pro 1000 and after 50+ years of iron gyros, it does an amazing array of functions. You'll enjoy it, I predict. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Bill, good question. Let me share what I know.

Legacy autopilots are AI-driven, or turn coordinator-driven. If AI or TC fails, AP becomes inoperablere.

AHRS is a component that drives an electronic AI. It is not part of your GPS. Assuming that the AP is driven by an electronic AI, the failure of the GPS can make some AP modes unavailable (nav mode), but the more basic heading/pitch/altitude hold etc will typically still work. This may vary between brands, so you should check your AP manual and learn about all failure modes—you don’t want to “discover” that in flight ;)

Regarding compatibility between electronic AI (or EFIS) types and autopilots, some can be coupled directly, some require an interface box (separately sold), and others cannot be coupled at all. Your avionics shop is the best source of information; for many APs and AIs there is “fine print” that might make the installation costly or difficult in your airplane. This is also why it is important to choose a shop that has already installed the type of AP you are looking at in an airframe that is the same, or very similar to yours.

Hope this helps! Cheers!
    Karol

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• Thank you Karol, that was very helpful and will give me some home work this week :)