Weights and balance

I bought a 1975 Cherokee 6/300. It has a modern panel and has had interior updated over the years. It has factory AC but hasn’t worked in some time and I have no near future plans to get it working. It also has wheel fairings. My useful load is 1273# with max load 3400#. My question is, are there things you can do to increase useful load 50-100# and shift the CG aft a little bit? I was thinking of having the compressor and/or condenser removed at my annual. Not sure how much things weigh but if I could remove weight from the front of the plane would make the balance a little better too. I attached a sample of what full fuel and 4 adults typically looks like. I have to add weight to the aft baggage compartment to stay in the envelope but then I push my weight up. It gets difficult to stay in the envelope if you have two people up front.
Thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2020

Hi, having owned 4 Seneca's over the years I always had ballast in the rear baggage compartment. I had 2 twenty-five pound dumbbells' back there to make it work. That's just the way PA-32's and 34's are. Also, regarding the air conditioning: It has tremendous value at trade in time. You may want to consider getting it repaired and enjoying it in the summer. At trade-in time it could be worth over $10,000. Regarding gross weight increases to have a useful load increase I'm not aware of anything out there.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott as always for your knowledge. I should probably keep a ballast in the baggage compartment most times. I’ve seen other Cherokee 6/300 with useful loads 100# more. At 1273# mine seems to be on the lower side. I’m curious as to why. It was weighed within the last year or so with a panel upgrade and paint. I don’t think fairings would weigh much or if the factory useful load never considered this. I was thinking of removing the copilot seat which would help a little with the CG and useful load when I carry four adults. I can’t complain much. Still a great heavy hauler.
  • Have you removed your vacuum system yet? On my Arrow it netted a 30 pound useful load increase.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I did not do the avionics upgrade but I will look at the annual this month to see. Great tip.
  • Hi Shanff, a buddy of mine had the same problem on a 185 anfib. What he done was cast a lead weight and attached it to his tail dragged. What about the inside or on the skid plate on the tail? Run your numbers with maybe 10 lbs out that far may do the trick??