Cooler weather - oil temps!

Here in the north it's beginning to look like 50 degree temps are the norm, now. Tomorrow I'm putting my oil cooler winterization plates on my Arrow's oil cooler. :) Just an FYI...

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott,

I hear you...It was 25* F here this morning so reluctantly I have connected the power to my engine heater (pan and cylinder bases) and put the ceramic space heater inside the cabin. Both are individually controlled by a remote switch box I built. High temp today, however, was 58* F so I don't put the oil cooler plate on until the max temp won't exceed 50* F. We typically have daily temp ranges of 30 to 40 degrees which makes it hard to figure when to put on or take off the cooler plate.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• May I suggest that the outside ambient temp is only a guideline. When your cruise oil temp won't stay above 160 or so, put the plates on.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• **Arrow76r**: 30 to 40 degree swings? Sounds like the Midwest! What state are you located in?

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Colorado Springs, CO. Pretty dry all the time so little heat retention in the atmosphere...what there is of that!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• That's a beautiful part of the country. You get to do some incredible flying!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I am the very proud (new) owner of a '68 Arrow. It came from Arizona, so no winterization plate. Not sure where to get one or even where it goes on my model. Any help?

Neil Baker
    PA28R-180
    Northern Indiana

• Go to your parts manual and get the part number. Then Google that number and you'll find it quickly. Don't have a parts manual? You need two manuals for ownership: the service manual and the parts manual. You may get both at www.eflightmanuals.com for $50.00 each in pdf download form.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hey Scott, thanks for the response. I have both of those documents. None seem to match my serial no. (28R-309XX) in the parts manual and in the service manual it just mentions an "Engine Breather Tube Winterization Kit". Is that the same thing? I hate to waste your time so I'll keep digging.

Neil Baker
    PA28R-180
    Northern Indiana

• Nope, that's different. Maybe another 68 arrow owner can either get you the part number or take a photo and post it here.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Just an update Scott on my quest for a winterization plate for my '69 Arrow. An acquaintance has a '65 Cherokee 180. Since it has the same 180hp engine as my Arrow we compared. Sure enough, they're identical (except for the fact that mine is fuel injected). So, mystery solved. It takes the same plate as his. I just made a copy. Thanks again for the help!!

Neil Baker
    PA28R-180
    Northern Indiana

• Perfecto!! :) Great news.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!