What should I do with this panel?

My newly purchased 1969 PA28R-200 has a pretty original panel. There are some quirks for sure. I’m trying to plan for an avionics upgrade this winter. What would you do if this was your panel?

Comments

• Nice airplane!

What’s your goal for the upgrade? VFR, light IFR, serious IFR?

• Light IFR. I have just started working on my instrument rating. My current airplane is a 1961 172B(until this one is airworthy). I have a GNC 300XL and a Narco MK12E with GS in the Cessna.

• edited October 2020

Remove everything in the right stack (ADF, VOR computer and transponder) and just install a Garmin 345 transponder there. Take out one KX170 and replace with a Garmin or Avidyne GPS (both are great), Pull out one KX170 and put a TKM MX-170 slide in digital replacement for your backup navcom and put a PS engineering audio panel in. Then get a yoke mount and an Ipan Mini with Foreflight and you're good forever! :) And then if you have any money left over, replace your attitude indicator and DG with a pair of uAvionix AV-30C's.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• May want to look at and take advantage of the Garmin promotion that Bob Hart posted yesterday with the GPS 175 or the GNC 355.

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

1999 Saratoga II TC (KCFO)

Denver, CO

• So I’m leaning toward the GNX 375, I believe I’ve located a PS Engineering 450A, I have one AV30C on order.

I’m considering Garmins SL30 for Com 1 and SL 40 for Com 2. I’ve heard some stories of delaminating displays for these units.

Any thoughts?
  • Here is what I did with mine. I love the G5s and Avidyne GPS.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Jim...what is to the right of the Avidyne?? Also what is below it?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Do you have an auto pilot? If so I have a pa28-161 and just installed a Garmin 375(takes care of ads B in and out, weather) coupled with gtx225 com and G5 coupled to auto pilot. Kept one kx170b and the dme works very well rember it’s only money. Having the auto pilot tracking by GPS is nice

• edited December 2020

Ok. I got a GI 106 indicator today. I’m leaning GNX 375 and I’m hoping to have a PS Engineering PMA 450 Audio Panel on the way within the hour.

I’ve heard a few comments about how I should consider finding a used Garmin GTN 650 instead of the GNX 375. Any thoughts on that? Obviously that will change the radio requirements.

• I am installing dual GI 275’s replacing AI and HSI to allow removal of the vacuum system while still driving the old autopilot. No other flight instruments required.They are also great for displaying ADSB traffic and weather and the IFR course data which the GNX 375 can provide. Add a GNC 255 and GTR 225. Those 3 are cheaper than a GTN 650 and GTX 345.
    I looked at duals G5’s for display but a G5 cannot replace an AI that provides attitude information to an autopilot.

1969 PA28R-200

• G5 can provide attitude info to some autopilots. I have the new Garmin GFC 500 autopilot installed in my turbo dakota which is basically an Arrow without retractible gear. It can use the G5, however mine is coupled to a G3X touch. My airplane lost 9 lbs getting rid of the old vacuum gauges and pump. I've heard the GI 275's viewing area is a bit small for older eyes. The G5s are adequate and you can run two, as AI and HSI. I listened to my CFII and just went charging into the future with the G3X touch, G5 as backup AI, and GFC 500 autopilot. The airplane already had a nice Garmin audio panel
    with GTX 335, GNC 255, and GTN650 along with JPI EDM 700. You have so many choices, but the bottom line is what's your mission, what's your budget, and how much sophistication do you want to deal with. I have about 50 hrs on my new panel including 2 2000 mile x-country trips and just getting comfortable trusting that the equipment and autopilot are doing what I am expecting them to do. LOL

• edited January 2021

So, after a lot of searching and thinking, parts are starting to arrive:

GI 106A in hand
    PSA Engineering PMA 450B used, yellow tagged, in transit.
    New AV30 in hand to replace the Attitude Indicator
    New GNX 375 - to be ordered new from the local Garmin Dealer by the end of the week
    Used GNS 430 non WAAS with 11/24 8130 in transit for Com 1
    New Garmin GTR 225 in transit for Com 2

I’d like to do more, but for now, this is all that budget allows for.

• edited January 2021

Install is scheduled for mid February.

• Keep us updated. What was the quote on the install? The AV30 is a sharp looking display. The 375 looks like a great path for GPS + ADS-B. It might not cross fill to the non-WAAS 430 but I prefer not crossfilling anyway.
    Are you thinking of another AV30 as a GPS HSI? How about the AV20S for a larger AOA indicator (etc). It looks like there are some limitations on the AV30 in GPS HSI mode as VFR only. It could replace your existing DG as an electronic DG for IFR (and the 106A for IFR approaches, etc)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• For now I’m just installing the one AV30 as my budget is, well over budget. 😂

As for the install, I kind of have a sweet deal. I have a semi retired IA who works with the local Garmin dealer. I have to work with his schedule but he’s thinking between $2500 and $4000 for the total.

• The local avionics shops in the Portland area want $4000 to install a provided by me Garmin 330 ES with the ADS-B upgrade in place of a KT-76. I think labor alone was quoted at 20+ hrs. This involves connecting a handful of wires to the adjacent 430W as well as 3 feet of RG-400 to the easy to access transponder in the nose.
    In an experimental RV-10 I installed a Lynx ADS-B connected to the GPS, EFIS, AHRS, audio panel, etc and took < 10 hrs...
    Would love to find a local freelance avionics tech for this project and others. If anyone knows of someone in the Pacific Northwest I would appreciate it.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Looking good!! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I understand it’s common for avionics upgrades to take forever. This one was supposed to be done April 15, 2021. As of today it is still not done but it got significantly closer.

• You have my empathy. Been there, still there... Looking good, though!!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Not the best photo, but the panel is done! Until I save a few more pennies for the second AV30 and second GI106. It still needs the interior put back together and the gear tested from the override removal kit, and a pitot/static test. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

• Progress comes in inches! Great work! Thanks for posting the picture.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!