Bird with broken wing flies again!!

As some may recall, 06H our 1982 Archer was diagnosed with a small crack in the lower, left, outboard, forward wing spar bolt hole by eddy current testing back on April 1st. What to do, what to do? One option was to scrap the plane, best offer was $12k. Send the wing out to have the spar replaced, to the tune of $12k + shipping + painting + a crate ++. I figured that option could get close to $20k by the time we were done. The solution was a wing off of an older Archer, 1977 actually but only with 2400 tt, from a salvage yard, get the bolt holes inspected, repaint and swap. Don't know the total yet, but we should be under $10k, and she jumped off the runway last night just like she used to!! I'm flying without the wheel pants and fairings for the time being, I noticed that there's a bit more noise, I think it's because the fairings aren't on and there's a sizeable hole on the underside of the wing behind the gear. Everything worked as it did before and the good news is it turns left when the yoke goes left, and goes up when you pull on it. My A&P said he's heard some horror stories along those lines when controls are disconnected and reassembled. The only issue now, is neither fuel gauge works. They both indicate empty. We checked the new/old sending unit on the left wing before we put it in and the resistance was as expected. Hoping we don't have to remove the tank again, but jeez it's really tough to get to the sending unit without pulling the tank. I'm just curious how one sending unit could render both gauges inop?

Comments

• It can't. Time to look for a new problem... Congrats of the wing replacement, though. You and your team did an A+ job!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• The service manual implies there is a fuse for the fuel gauges. Any idea where this would be? We did replace the tach, which is directly under the gauges.

• It definitely sounds like that fuse could be the problem. You may have to track the wiring to see where it leads. If it's not behind the panel where it should be it could be anywhere. I've found fuse holders behind the upholstery on my plane. Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• How about the fuel tank gauge wires leading to a terminal strip under the back seat?

• Hey @spikecarter any tips from your wing replacement project? We had the same issue with our Cherokee 150 and just purchased some wings from an older Piper Cherokee. :-)

• Turns out the new/old tank has an incompatible sending unit. There was also another issue, debris, dead bugs, and maybe some stripper got into the tank which made for a pucker flight south. EGT started climbing as the fuel in the new/old tank got low, so switched to old tank. 30 miles out from destination, EGT started going up again, went full rich which helped temporarily. Turned on elec pump, helped long enough to land. We disassembled the gascolator and pump filter and found some debris in the screen, and an odd gelatinous film on the screen that was impeding flow. Returned home on old tank no problems other than an addtional stop for fuel. Solution? Repaint old right tank and install. Anyone need a spare left Archer tank?

• I'm just glad for the happy ending. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• @spikecarter do you remember what gaskets and seals you purchased for installing the new wing? I've got a wing root seal and a air duct gasket on order. Do you know if um missing anything? Tried checking the parts catalog but I don't see much info.