Delay in gear warning light going off after retraction

I have a 96 Saratoga, 24v system and have notices a pronounced delay at times with the gear warning light staying on for up to about one minute after retraction. The fluid is fine and my mechanic said the type of pump they installed on this series may be the culprit. I do also notice after multiple cycles the time for the light to go out reduces. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this ? Thanks

Comments

• This is a very common complaint. Good news: nine times out of ten the root cause is an uplock microswitch in need of adjustment. With the plane on jacks, and a multimeter in hand, your A&P will be able to readily identify which one isn't opening properly, and make the necessary adjustment. Figure an hour or two of shop labor. In the remaining cases the microswitch itself has failed due to water ingress, and the resultant corrosion, and you'll need to replace the switch.

Good luck,

Bob T.

• And the $1.00 microswitch will cost you $150.00. I just did this two years ago on my Arrow.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Great, thanks guys. Safe travels
  • And you're going to hate me for this comment, but here goes: All of the landing gear microswitches were built and installed at the same time. Have your mechanic inspect all of them. When my first switch failed I replaced all at the same time. No worries now about any other landing gear microswitch problems. When it comes to landing gear, you can't overspend on maintenance.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes agreed. He had mentioned this type of pump was the problem. But I will definitely have him check/replace all the switches. Appreciate it
  • OK, good luck

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!