Head rest

I have an older Piper 32 and the seats do not have head rests. My co-pilot, aka wife, would like to have a head rest on her side to make herself more comfortable. Obviously I don't want to buy all new seats but does anyone know of anything I can add? Also is there and easy way to make the back more adjustable? Thanks

Comments

• You can get aftermarket pump-up lumbar support for your seats and headrests should be available from a boneyard like Wentworth. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Ron,
    I have seats with headrests ( from Piper) and although they look great... They are built relatively weak.
    If you do get headrests ( pipers version) tell the passengers to not use the "headrest" piece to assist in getting in the airplane or out. ....by using their arm to brace themselves putting stress directly on the headrest. It will BEND the headrest which is mounted to the two rods with rivets (3) which will have to be drilled out and replaced.its a couple hours labor each time..... don't ask me how I know!

John

• Most of the Pipers already are predrilled for the headrest. I got some tips from Airtex on how to fabricate a headrest frame and bought their cover with foam. I did a writeup on it as part of an interior restoration that I can send you with the techniques that I used.

• Could you please send a copy of your writeup to me? Thanks!

arrow76r@comcast.net

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)