Garmin GFC 600 now Approved for PA-31

Hi all,

Looks like the certification for the GFC 600 has come through for the PA-31. What is interesting is that the certification includes a thing called Smart Rudder Bias. What this does is detects engine failure with AP either off or on and inputs rudder correction, indicating which engine has failed. Pretty incredible and looks like I have some money to spend next year!! On top of a go-around function and a straight and level function.

Merry Christmas to everyone. I am off to the beach in the Navajo for a week, remember it is summer in NZ. Enjoy the snow!

Comments

• Thanks for the update, I'll look at the autopilot again. Have fun at the beach!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• John,
    Although I did not win the recent 1 billion dollar lottery here in the US. I feel very lucky to have the first GFC600 in a Navajo. It truly is a unique piece of equipment. Garmin knows how to make avionics that make flying safe and enjoyable. The autopilot functions are fantastic and the safety functions are unmatched. I would hate to be a competitor.

Picture is the GFC using VNAV function to descend to the RNAV29 approach at KBVS. The TXI has the GFC annunciations on the top. the APP function is activated and waiting for the glide path to capture after the FAF. LPV minimums are set. Manage flaps, gear, power, minimums, coupled go around or disconnect, land. Rudder bias switch below the TXI.

Garmin's Matt Clark makes it look easy and explains it well.

Truly a sophisticated setup for a general aviation aircraft. Makes the Navajo a real flying machine.

PA-31
    KHIO
    Garmin Everything

• More Navajo Snow

PA-31
    KHIO
    Garmin Everything

• Wow. Nice panel! It is fantastic all of the emerging options to upgrade great planes with great panels. You are only missing auto-throttle now...

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Thanks for the info Eric, can you give an indication of hardware cost and install cost or hours please?
    Cheers John

• For auto-throttle I think we will have to wait a bit. Piper Meridian and Cirrus Jet now have it along with a number of other small jets and turboprops. In principle it should be possible to have a condition level with % HP markings and then servo's controlling mixture and prop. Maybe detents for Takeoff, 100%, 85%, 75%, 65%, 55%,45%, 30%, Idle? It would auto adjust mixture and prop for the % power settings.

Of course it would leave few things for the pilot to fiddle with and some complexities on go-around and engine failure in a twin.

From a retrofit you could have servo's in the panel operating the existing controls and then an autothrottle override to switch to manual. I am not aware of any effort on this for piston and if there was an effort it would likely be something like the Cirrus SR22 first with the fleet size and communality on a glass panel.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Thanks Eric
    Stop by the Bruun hangar at KHIO and say hello. Doing annual as of today.
    I have seen you taxi by
    Snowing today

PA-31
    KHIO
    Garmin Everything

• Thanks for the invite - I will try and stop by this week. I was at the airport today in the evening and it was a slushy winter wonderland. ;)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)