Is there a difference between Part 23 burn certification and Part 25

We are going to re-cover the side panels on our airplane. Trying to make sure that I am doing this the right way - I went to Aircraft Spruce and ordered the vinyl material that meets FAR 23.853(a) burn test requirements.

I also ordered 1/8 in foam to go under the vinyl and it says that it meets FAR 25.853 burn requirements. From looking at what a Part 25 airplane is - that has to do with jets and prop planes that are designed to carry many more people than my 4-seat Cherokee.

So the question is - if the foam meets Part 25 requirements for burn testing - will that also meet Part 23? Or is there some other distinction that I am not getting. Not trying to be flippant - but if an airplane is going to carry 10 or more people - it would seem like the requirements for flammability for a Part 25 airplane would be more strict than a Part 23 that can only burn up 4 of us at a time.

What am I missing here? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Ok - I think I have the answer. For anyone who may be interested - I think the standards are the same. I am going to confirm it with the guy that is doing our annual and will be signing off when all of the repairs are complete to be sure.

If anyone disagrees please correct me so that I am not spreading incorrect information.

In summary - both standards provide for the following

Interior ceiling/wall panels, etc - burn length not more than 6 inches with avg flame time after removal of flame source not more than 15 seconds and drippings not flame for more than 3 seconds

Floor covering/textiles/seat cushions/etc - burn length not more than 8 inches after flame removed and avg flame time not more than 15 seconds. Drippings cannot flame more than 5 seconds.

Here is the standard for 23.853 - which is contained in the text of the regulation itself. Appendix F for this regulation sets up the test procedure to be used.

(i) Interior ceiling panels, interior wall panels, partitions, galley structure, large cabinet walls, structural flooring, and materials used in the construction of stowage compartments (other than underseat stowage compartments and compartments for stowing small items such as magazines and maps) must be self-extinguishing when tested vertically in accordance with
    the applicable portions of appendix F of this part or by other equivalent methods. The average burn length may not exceed 6 inches and the average flame time after removal of the flame
    source may not exceed 15 seconds. Drippings from the test specimen may not continue to flame for more than an
    average of 3 seconds after falling.

(ii) Floor covering, textiles (including draperies and upholstery), seat cushions, padding, decorative and nondecorative coated fabrics, leather, trays and galley furnishings, electrical
    conduit, thermal and acoustical insulation and insulation covering, air ducting, joint and edge covering, cargo compartment liners, insulation blankets, cargo covers and transparencies, molded and thermoformed parts, air ducting joints, and trim strips decorative and chafing), that are constructed of materials not covered in paragraph (d)(3)(iv) of this section must be self extinguishing when tested vertically in accordance with the applicable portions of appendix F of this part or other approved equivalent methods.
    The average burn length may not exceed 8 inches and the average flame time after removal of the flame source may not exceed 15 seconds. Drippings from the test specimen may not continue to flame for more than an average of 5 seconds after falling.

Here is the standard for 25.853 - which is contained in Appendix F along with the test procedure to be used which also appears to be identical to the test procedure for 23.853.

(i) Interior ceiling panels, interior wall panels, partitions, galley structure, large cabinet walls, structural flooring, and materials used in the construction of stowage compartments (other than underseat stowage compartments and compartments for stowing small items such as magazines and maps) must be self-extinguishing when tested vertically in accordance with the applicable portions of part I of this appendix. The average burn length may not exceed 6 inches and the average flame time after removal of the flame source may not exceed 15 seconds. Drippings from the test specimen may not continue to flame for more than an average of 3 seconds after falling.

(ii) Floor covering, textiles (including draperies and upholstery), seat cushions, padding, decorative and non-decorative coated fabrics, leather, trays and galley furnishings, electrical conduit, air ducting, joint and edge covering, liners of Class B and E cargo or baggage compartments, floor panels of Class B, C, E, or F cargo or baggage compartments, cargo covers and transparencies, molded and thermoformed parts, air ducting joints, and trim strips (decorative and chafing), that are constructed of materials not covered in paragraph (a)(1)(iv) below, must be self-extinguishing when tested vertically in accordance with the applicable portions of part I of this appendix or other approved equivalent means. The average burn length may not exceed 8 inches, and the average flame time after removal of the flame source may not exceed 15 seconds. Drippings from the test specimen may not continue to flame for more than an average of 5 seconds after falling.