Paint shop around Orlando

Hello all. My in-pieces Cherokee 140 is close to being ready to paint. When it’s done it will be covered, but probably parked outside. I wanted to get some pros and cons of using single/double stage paint (I’ve already heard different views, but maybe someone can add some I haven’t heard.). Also, I live south of Leesburg, Florida, and am looking for a good painter that will do an airplane that’s disassembled (Most aircraft painters that I’ve heard of around central Florida have bad reps., or won’t do an airplane in pieces.) Thank you for your input.

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Pilotnmech;

I don't know the area, but hopefully someone else will chime in with advice on a good paint shop in FL.

It sounds like you've already heard the advantages and disadvantages to both single and 2 stage paint systems, so I won't rehash them.

I used to do paint work, so here's my humble advice; the most important aspect is to apply a paint formulated for aircraft. Our planes can go from 90+ degrees F on the ramp to altitudes where the air temp may be 40 to 50 degrees colder in a matter of minutes. Temperature changes cause the aluminum in our planes to expand and contract at higher rates than steel or composites, and may lead to the paint cracking and eventually peeling. Aircraft paint is already engineered to withstand these conditions.

Sherwin Williams Acry-glo is very popular in the GA industry and for a good reason. I have their single stage (white) and 2 stage (metallic striping) on my plane. It still looks great after 4 years. I've found it to be easy to care for, and very durable. I highly recommend it.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I haven't painted my plane but a guy I follow on You tube 310 pilot had his done at Hawk Aircraft Service in Zephyrhills, FL you can check it out here and decide for yourself

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• Thank you, I will call him.

• Love watching Kevin's videos