Eddy current testing in the Midwest, and my results

All;

My plane has 6,700+ TT, and (60+) 100 hr inspections (early in it's life, it was used as an air taxi). According to the formula, the plane was slightly under the 5,000 TIS, but was close enough that I had decided ahead of time to have the inspection performed. I also wanted peace of mind.

My plane passed the eddy current test today. As others have already mentioned, it's not as bad as one would think. For around $1,000 (if your plane passes), you are in compliance with the AD and can fly without worries.

I attached the business card of the company that performed the inspection below. They are based in MI, and are currently traveling the Midwest performing eddy current inspections.

In case the pic is unclear, here's the contact info from the card;

Bradley Chojnacki (BJC Consulting)
Phone - 269-569-3452
Email - jetcheckerbrad@gmail.com

A few things to consider:

• This company only performs the eddy current test, not wing removal or replacement.
  • Have your A&P/IA do the prep work including putting the plane on jacks, and removal of the wings enough for the inspection to be performed.
  • Reassembly of the airplane will need to be performed by your A&P/IA.
  • While the wings are opened up, it's a good time to check for corrosion.
  • As part of the procedure, the spar attach bolts must be replaced.
  • It's very difficult to find the spar bolts right now, they're mostly sold out.
  • Have your airplane inspected at an FBO or hangar you are comfortable with, because if it fails, your plane will be grounded on the spot.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
PA28 - 161
Chicago area

Comments

• Thanks Griff! :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• This is who I used as well,,,they do great work.