Stall Horn for the Cherokee 180

Does anyone know if they make an aftermarket stall HORN for the Cherokee 180. Of course, it has the light, but what if the light bulb burns out! I sure would like to have an audible stall warning.

Comments

• Your best bet would be an angle of attack indicator. More useful in all realms of flight too

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Look into getting yourself a sonalert. They're cheap and easy to install. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sonalert&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited March 2021

There are some instrument and aerodynamic clues the Cherokee might be about to exceed its critical angle of attack and stall.

• Ailerons not responding well
    • Increasing pitch forces with decreasing airspeed in level flight
    • Increasing pitch force in high bank turns with lowering airspeeds
    • Controls crossed in a skidding turn
    • Aircraft buffeting in combination with any of the above

And, if you ignored all those, the stall break itself!

The stall warning, which may be required under the type certificate or MEL notwithstanding, is icing on the cake.

I remember learning to fly in a Cessna 150. You know, the one with the screechy stall horn. Daydreaming on the bus ride home after my first stall lesson, a passenger pulled the cord to signal they wanted off at the next stop. I nearly wet myself :D

• and remember no one really stalls at altitude. Most likely stall is going to be base to final and also most dangerous as little altitude to recover. Easy to get task focused staring at the runway and that you are "cleared to land" so you must. Anyone can get low, slow, over banked and cross controlled. Go around before you go into the ground.
    The reality of stall warning devices is if you missed or ignored all the clues to get to the stall warning the odds are not good you will heed the warning. On a level turn adding flaps and decreasing speed you can be closer to a stall than you think above 30 deg bank - especially with any skid.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/slip-skid-stall/

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)