Looking for MEI in Houston area with Aztec time to do XC purchase flight

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a MEI that is in the Houston area with Aztec time and generally meets Open Pilot insurance. We would fly an Aztec to New Mexico. thank you

Comments

• Thanks for the post. Hopefully someone in that area will assist.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Another path would be if you have a local instructor to fly them out to Houston. One way or another you will need to get them back... ;)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Chris Frost at Frost Aviation in Las Cruces New Mexico is a Gold Seal flight instructor. If you are flying the plane to NM maybe he would work for you. He trains pilots MEI in his Aztec. www.frostaviation.com
  • Hi, Wagg8989. Chris and his wife are great people!! I did my CP-AMEL with him and his Aztec.. (Note: I would highly recommend Frost Aviation for flight training!).

To followup my own question with a few answers. I do this in hopes of providing the "next person" with some answers as they search the forums.

1. Full Throttle Aviation www.FullThrottleAviationLLC.com was recommended several times to me. I contacted Sarah and she replied back quickly. Had a person that sounded good.

2. Mike Jones Aero https://www.mikejones.aero/ He is based in the HOU area, is a part 121 pilot (day job) and has over 1000+ hours in Aztecs.

Because of insurance requirements and being local to Houston I decided to go with Mike Jones. He and I flew the airplane from HOU to KAEG. It was about 6 hours in the air (headwinds are the pits). Great person, down to earth, easy to communicate with and easy to get along with. I would recommend Mike to any Aztec driver that needs a refresher, etc.

• Thanks for the update - glad you found a solution that worked as well as some backup options. Ferry flights on new to you planes can be an emotional roller coaster balancing logistics, weather, and trying to determine what is normal vs unusual.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)