Guess who has an Arrow that failed the eddy current inspection???

Yeah, me...I wish I would have bought a Cessna!

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear that. So what's next?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I hope the hangar it's in burns to the ground!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Four to five months lead time to get the wing rebuilt...I can kiss going to Airventure goodbye...Wing has to be removed, shipped to Airframe Components in Indiana, and then repaired.

Like I said, I really wish now I had bought a Cessna...

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Wow, that's awful. But when it's finished it will be exceptional.

• edited March 2021

Should have left it in the WWII Hanger a couple days longer. My Archer passed the test today, I was the "other" one at the AeroCenter.....

• Harley, how many hours do you have on the aircraft?
    Sorry to hear you have to do this. I’ve been up to Airframe Components and saw there facility. They do some amazing work up there. They also have a paint shop that they use that does nice work.
  • My aircraft has just a bit over 2500 TT...

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• What was your factored service hours?

• Less than 800...

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Harley, I know that this is an intensely emotional thing you're dealing with and you have all of our empathy. Collectively we are all sorry. We are also all concerned too and we're wondering how you could have this problem on an Arrow with only 2,500TT and less than 800FSH. I, at least, don't understand how this could happen. Do you have any idea?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I was wondering if damage could have been caused when removing the bolts.
  • Harley, I second Scott's comments...I now have another worry wrinkle.

• The mechanic doing the work said the bolts came out fairly easily without having to drive them out with a hammer and punch. I'm going to go down later today and have a look myself. An A&P friend of mine in California suggested I take a .38 caliber bronze bristle brush, such as used for cleaning the bore of a rifle, use a little spray brake cleaner on the brush, and brush out the holes, and then have the eddy current guys come back and do another test of those holes.

I will post the results of that later today...

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• OK Harley. Fingers crossed, good luck.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Well, here's the scoop...my spar passed when it was retested!!! Before I brushed the holes, I used a powerful flashlight and looked up in the bolt holes, and saw two miniscule little strands of something sticking out over the top of one of the holes. So, I sprayed the brush and gave each hole about 5-6 strokes. When I looked in the holes again, they were nice and shiny bright, and the two little strands were gone. The testing guys arrived just as I was finishing, so they got their equipment out and calibrated it. One crawled under the wing with his wand and started testing. There were six of us peering at the display, along with the guy under the wing. He repeated the test three times, and we saw NO spikes on the display! He crawled out from under the wing and looked at me and said, "I don't know how it's different, but you have no crack in that spar." I gave the testers the bronze brush and told them if they ever have another one that fails, try the brush trick. I am SO relieved!!! I think I'll celebrate with an adult beverage!!!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Great News, Harley!

• Wow Harley. That is amazing. and goes to prove this process is not fool proof. Praying for everyone else getting the test! And very happy for you.

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• edited March 2021

Good news, Harley. I'm very pleased for you. Now aren't you glad you got a Piper? lol ;)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Great to hear Harley! Makes you wonder if there should be a procedure to clean the holes first.
  • Kind of makes you wonder about the whole process, doesn't it?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• I love your attitude of not giving up when facing adversity. Makes one wonder how many others have been “failed” inadvertently.

Art Schmidt
    1980 Piper Dakota
    Great Falls, MT

• Harley; I'm just catching up now, and read this entire thread top to bottom. Broke my heart to hear your spar test failed, (and like others couldn't believe it happened on such a low time airframe), but then I was relieved to read you reworked it and passed!

Having firearm cleaning brushes saved the day. Good thing we all have more than one hobby.

The emotional roller-coaster ride you were put through is *why* we drink. Speaking of that, I'm going to celebrate for you tonight!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thank you all for your positive words and encouragement. I have to admit, Monday evening, I was ready to just break down and cry. I could not believe my "baby" was broken. After the 2nd successful test, I felt like a giant weight slid off my shoulders! Laphroaig single-malt Scotch whisky helped me to celebrate!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Good work Harley. We'll all hoist a drink in your honor tonight. A little Makers Mark for me lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Makers Mark is some very fine bourbon! Salut!!!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• edited March 2021
    Hallelujah👍👍👍
    The pre-brush procedure should be part of the AD! Awesome.
  • Congratulations Harley, I too will hoist a toast, I'm out of Laphroaig but will revert to Aultmore.

• Congrats Harley. When I started reading this thread, my heart skipped a beat. Happy ending though. Happy for you.

• This could happen to any one of us. Let us all be diligent in our maintenance practices and oversight.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm a firm believer that drinking in celebration is far better than drinking to drown your sorrows!
    I was not feeling bad today but this good news made me feel better!
    Congratulations!!!