eddy test fail

Just had my 1968 arrow eddy current tested even though it wasn't required my wife and I decided to have it done, just for peace of mind. A little history on my Arrow. 2005 hard landing
The left wing spar was replaced with a new spar and 1 rib (All documentation in log ) by Williams (excellent work). Since wing was rebuilt and not a salvaged wing we went ahead with the inspection (minor issues).
Left wing FAILED, right wing good. The shop that did the R&R butchered the installation, Not only are there gouges in the holes it looks like they used a ratchet to drive the bolt up. There are thread marks in one hole almost like a tap was used. In another hole my A&P lightly tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver and it fell right out. Looks like someone honed out that hole during installation. Right now I have a call into the F.SD.O. and an e-mail to one of the people involved with this AD. Also wrong washers were used to reinstall wing.
These holes look like a train wreck. The wing is going back to Williams for another rebuild and this time installed correctly. there is at least a 2 mo. backorder on spars so we will be down for a while. How many other aircraft are flying with improperly installed wings?
e-mail me if you want to see HOW NOT to install a wing

gtbor@yahoo.com

Comments

• I'm so sorry but I'm really glad you had it done. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!